Why become a member? ×

Inconsistent string space latest adjustable bridge US Jazz (and P bass)

41Hz

I have developed an unfortunate case of string spacing OCD.

From what I read Fender are supposed to use a 19mm string spacing at the bridge.

My US Jazz came with E - 19mm - A - 21mm - D - 20mm - G (60mm E to G), as picture below.

This gives good alignment with the pickups - e.g. string passes in the middle of the pole pieces

Looking on the pictures on the Fender website (on both Jazz and P-basses), the images show a similar spacing on several basses e.g. 60mm total, but uneven spacing like mine - on some the gap between E and A is 21mm and A and D as 19mm. Some look less than 60mm judging on the bridge positions.

I looked in a music shop today and 2 basses were setup with the 19mm string spacing as below but as with mine then the strings don't line up in the middle of the magnets. Another 2 basses were setup with wider (but uneven) spacing.

Anyone else noticed this?

The only way to get 19mm on the adjustable bridge fenders is to have the strings in the 1-1-3-3 slots (G to E)

Do you set up your bass with the 19mm spacing as above (57mm), or do you set closer to 60mm but with uneven spacing, but closer alignment to the pickups?

It is more the fact the string spacing is variable e.g. 19mm E to A and 21mm A to D that is bugging me.

Edited by 41Hz

I would personally line them up with the pickup pole pieces and have slightly off spacing.
You will soon forget about the spacing as you play.
I was always worrying about this type of thing as well . I now stop fussing and just play. This will free up your brain and your playing will improve.
I totally sympathise as I've been through this as well as string height, width of nut, and pickup height.
All I can say is set to your liking and play and enjoy your instrument.
😀😀😀

@Mantom Customs - measured from the center of the strings

@Spyder - Yes, I know I should put it out of my head, but concerned it is going to make it more tricky switching to my Yamaha which is exactly 19mm spacing on all strings.

Edited by 41Hz

I know it's annoying but many basses have that issue. Now if the bridge was off then it would annoy much more.
Fender are notorious for pole pieces not lining up or things being very slightly off somewhere.
I've owned a few fenders now and I don't think I've had one that's been totally lined up and they were/are not the base models either.

It's amazing that all basses today are not practically perfect.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1465586312' post='3069540']
I know it's annoying but many basses have that issue.
[/quote]

It seems to be there by design on every single adjustable bridge fender, not just a few.

As far as I can see the pickups are designed for a 20mm spacing - I think I also read this somewhere, which is impossible to get exactly with the adjustable bridge (strings will be in the range 19-21mm). If you want consistent spacing then you can set to 19mm (like the MIM fixed bridge), but it won't line up with all the pole pieces.

The Fender US string spacing system is horribly clunky and uneven. Personally I'd swap it out for something like a Hipshot A style which has properly adjustable spacing (little video here). You can get it in a 'Fender mount' version with compatible mounting holes and through body stringing. Alternatively swap the saddles for single groove saddles with 20mm spacing (eg Squier CV type)

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1465587737' post='3069552']
....Alternatively swap the saddles for single groove saddles with 20mm spacing (eg Squier CV type)
[/quote]

Good idea! I assume the saddles are compatible with the US bridge - should be a quick, cheap reversible fix. Has anyone tried this? Anyone know where I can buy these?

Just measured the spacing on my 4 string. I set it so each string is as close as possible to the centre of the pick up pole pieces. The spaces are:
E-21mm-A-20mm-D-20mm-G. This is very natural for me, and as far as any OCD is concerned, for me the position of the strings over the pups is far more noticeable than which notch on the saddle.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1465931968' post='3072274']
Do strings need to pass over the 'middle' of the pole pieces ? None of my jazz basses have this and I've not heard any obvious effect.
[/quote]

To be honest, for me it is as much about the look (OCD element?) as I also couldn't hear any difference. As I said, the position over the pups is more noticeable than which notch on the saddle...

• 2 weeks later...