Why become a member? ×

Bassics Preamp

SisterAbdullahX

I think the Manchester Bass Lounge has one... http://greatbritishbasslounge.com/product/bassics-bpa-1-bass-preamplifier-system/

£400! Hope it's good... crowded market...

No overdrive but compressor...

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1465594241' post='3069603']
What's it sound like??
[/quote]

As I was in BassGear for the afternoon I had the opportunity to compare it against a Jule Monique and a Demeter pre - using The Jule M700 as a power amp.

The bass I was using was a Suhr J in active mode.

It was ultra clean and clear, almost 'hi-Fi' like (and I don't really like that phrase but YT seemed to fit at the time!).

Whereas Monique has a lovely organic warm sound the Bassics had a really clean clear snap to it. The Demeter sits in the middle with a very clean sound set flat but it's easy to add warmth by playing with the dark / normal / bright and some bass boost. I should add that this is my regular gigging amp so it's my 'reference' point for trying new stuff.

Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to really go through all of the tone controls on the Bassics but it appears to have a lot of flexibility and the potential to add low end or mid boost, or both, could be really useful in a gigging situation.

I really need to spend some more time with it but it definitely appears really solid and well made and I definitely like the idea of a super clean pre with lots of flexibility that you control on the floor. Felt like it would work well with effects pedals as well because it's just reproducing what's fed into it rather than injecting its own colour.

[b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#1d2129]Here is some feedback from Gregor Fris. An independent reviewer who runs [i]BassTheWorld.com[/i] [/color][/font][/b]
[color=#0000ff][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"Here's an exciting new pedal that will hit the market soon. It's much more a studio bass preamp than an actual pedal. Sounds like something in between an API 312 and a Neve 1073, with lots of headroom. The EQ is 3Bd semi-parametric and each band has an individual bypass(!). The comp is like a 1 knob DBX160A and the best thing: the whole thing can be muted, something I miss in all decent mic preamps. It's an excellent tool, I got one a couple of weeks ago and so far I'm very excited. It sounds as good as the beloved classic and highly expensive studio preamps, but costs a fraction AND has a great sounding built-in EQ, something that you never get, unless you pay 3k bucks or more. Also you get individual pre and post DI outs and level control LED's for every single section. The board was designed by Malcolm Toft, the same guy who's responsible for the Trident consoles. Speaking of consoles, that's what it feels like using it. Unless you use it as a pedal, it's a desktop thing and that's a big deal to me (now). Much more comfortable than reaching out to 19" racks. Price will be something like 700€[/font][/color][color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] "[/font][/color]
[color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif](Its actually cheaper than expected at £420 RRP inc VAT or €650)[/font][/color]

Edited by agreensall