Why become a member? ×

Help needed - where and in which order?

BottomE

Hello folks

Few years ago i purchased an EBS compressor and Sadowsky outboard preamp which were then left in their boxes and never used. I bought them because at the time i had a bit of cash but never really experimented with them and kinda lost interest. Recently, at a gig another bass player saw the pedals and was surprised that i wasn't using them as he said both pedals were "top quality" and would give options to my sound.

With this in mind - using a Markbass LMII where do you think these boxes should sit in the signal chain? Current bass of choice for gigs at the moment is a passive US Jazz bass. Advice welcome.

I agree on that both pedals are of good quality and would possibly provide extra options for your sound.

However,
- if you've already played around with them in the past
- but then lost interest
- and if you (and your bandmates, and your audience) are happy with your current sound
> I'd say there is nothing wrong with your current setup, and you should just keep on playing the way you've liked it.

Maybe you could have a new moment with the pedals to see if there really isn't anything 'extra' for you in those pedals. You could take them for a few gigs and see how you like them in live situations. You could start tweaking with someone who likes to use and knows how to use these effects.

But if end up liking your classic tone, I'd say: sell the pedals and save the money for a new gigbag / strings / ... or for a nice present for someone you like.

That's just me. (:

Thanks. I'd like to experiment with them but the question is more about where should they go in the signal chain? For example should it go -

Bass - PreAmp - Compressor - Input to Amp
or
Bass - Compressor - PreAmp - Input to Amp
or
Should i use the Compressor in the send and return

???

You said you want to experiment, then experiment. We can all give you our own ideas but they might not suit you. Move them around and see where you get the best tone for you. Try each of the pedals on its own as well. See how the tone compares to your clean tone.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1465735386' post='3070584']
You said you want to experiment, then experiment. We can all give you our own ideas but they might not suit you. Move them around and see where you get the best tone for you. Try each of the pedals on its own as well. See how the tone compares to your clean tone.
[/quote]
Wasn't sure whether there was a "natural" way of linking these up. I remember an argument between two guitards about where something sat in the signal chain and as a noob to pedals didn't want to do something ridiculous...

If no-one tried out ridiculous stuff, they'd never be any progress..! That's how the very best get their 'tone' in the first instance..! All of your permutations above (and more...) are valid; the effect of each will be subtly different, and more suited to one person's taste or another. Plug 'em in, play around for a while, then decide. No, your questions are not unusual. You're entirely normal, but have confidence that there is no 'right' way for all. Only you can decide.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1465736279' post='3070594']
If no-one tried out ridiculous stuff, they'd never be any progress..! That's how the very best get their 'tone' in the first instance..! All of your permutations above (and more...) are valid; the effect of each will be subtly different, and more suited to one person's taste or another. Plug 'em in, play around for a while, then decide. No, your questions are not unusual. You're entirely normal, but have confidence that there is no 'right' way for all. Only you can decide.
[/quote]
Thanks Dad. Off i go then.

There is no absolute right way to do this - whatever sounds the best to you is the right way to do it.

That said, if you're using the Sadowsky pre as a DI feed to the PA then your sound engineer (if you have one) might be fussy about whether it gets compressed before their feed, or after it.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to share the following. I used the EBS compressor in my send and return last night at a gig. I've been fiddling at home so i am comfortable with the settings but wanted to see how this worked with the rest of the band.

Well. it was a revelation. I'm embarrassed that i've not been using this effects unit. 3 different people approached me after the gig to compliment the bass playing! I was chuffed to bits. The sound was much more focused and punchy. Sat in the mix better and felt like i had more control (unconsciously i've been doing the work of a compressor with my palm/fingers). Not having to worry about that and concentrate on playing left more room to be a touch more expressive with note choice so was able to add a few more "tasty" lines into the playing. Feel a fool as i've a lot of experience and this seems like such a quick win that its ridiculous.

Lesson learned. Never too late to experiment.