Why become a member? ×

Instruments unattended in vehicle

arthurhenry

I really don't know. Do you mean instruments unattended in a vehicle that can be seen? I do sometimes very briefly leave stuff in the car, but only if I can get it under the hatchback cover, out of sight. I'd never leave stuff in a car for an extended period, or overnight.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1465842188' post='3071511']
I really don't know. Do you mean instruments unattended in a vehicle that can be seen? I do sometimes very briefly leave stuff in the car, but only if I can get it under the hatchback cover, out of sight. I'd never leave stuff in a car for an extended period, or overnight.
[/quote]
Even out of sight, there is still a risk. I can understand some gear in certain situations, but never instruments.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1465842056' post='3071510']
Time and again, In reports of instruments being stolen, it seems to be the case that they were left unattended in a vehicle. What are the legitimate reasons for doing this and why do people continue to take such a chance when, presumably, they are aware of the risk of theft?
[/quote]

The reason people do it is because they never think it'll be them who gets their gear nicked.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1465842656' post='3071516']
To make things worse, you can bet your insurance has a clause meaning they don't payout if the theft is from an unattended vehicle. I looked into it and its difficult to get cover.
[/quote]
Another reason to ensure it never happens.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1465842528' post='3071514']
Even out of sight, there is still a risk. I can understand some gear in certain situations, but never instruments.
[/quote]

Yes there is still a risk, but unless someone actually sees you put the instruments in the car, it's far less likely you're going to have someone break into your car on the off-chance compared with instruments in plain view. In any case I'll always take a bass with me, I'd only leave something like a cab in the boot (out of sight) and even then it'd only be for a very short time.

Edited by discreet

I think it`s got to the point where clued up rotters are watching bands, especially those they know that are from a fair distance away, and seeing where they go/if gear is left in vans etc. A band we`re playing with soon had their guitars stolen at the weekend. No matter how knackered I am, if I`m staying away, all my basses and amps come into the hotel room with me.

As well as never leaving guitars or small and pricey items in the car.. amps, and assorted bags containing leads etc, I never leave my gear unattended on stage, particularly after a gig. As soon as I have finished, I put my guitars back in their cases, unplug and pack away amps etc and tuck em away in a corner where I keep my beadies on them. I have seen so many people pis#ed out of their faces, hilariously jumping on stage, grabbing the nearest thing to hand and 'playing it' much to the amusement of there equally pis#ed mates...and girls are usually the worst. Another thing I still find unbelievable is a lot of the guys I have been in bands with over the years think its ok to leave doors and tailgates wide open while they stroll in and out of the venue loading the vehicle back up. One terrible admission on my part... If the weather is crap, or I am exceptionally knack'd after a gig, I leave my speakers in the boot, and back the car upto the wall of the house. A bit naughty, but its a chance I take, and we do have a pretty nifty dog who wakes the dead if he hears anything outside..

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1465842656' post='3071516']
To make things worse, you can bet your insurance has a clause meaning they don't payout if the theft is from an unattended vehicle. I looked into it and its difficult to get cover.
[/quote]

I have instrument in unattended vehicle cover - its not that hard to get.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1465851758' post='3071642']
Sometimes it's unavoidable. Be sensible, keep it out of view, and make sure you have proper insurance.
[/quote]
In what circumstances would it be unavoidable? Band members or friends can take turns to stay with a vehicle, or help to carry instruments.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1465852176' post='3071647']

In what circumstances would it be unavoidable? Band members or friends can take turns to stay with a vehicle, or help to carry instruments.
[/quote]
Stopping off to get a drink at the services on the way back home maybe?
Someone could stay with the van though.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1465852176' post='3071647']
[/quote]

Fair enough it you leave home at 6pm to travel to a gig, and then head home afterwards.

If you're away for a number of days it's not practical to be tied to the car 24/7.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1465852491' post='3071652']
It seems that convenience sometimes overcomes common sense, perhaps because, as was stated above, people just don't think it will happen to them.
[/quote]

It's always a risk, but that's what insurance is for.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1465852380' post='3071649']
Fair enough it you leave home at 6pm to travel to a gig, and then head home afterwards.

If you're away for a number of days it's not practical to be tied to the car 24/7.
[/quote]
Keep the bass with you, leave it with someone you trust or in the place you are staying, not in an unattended vehicle.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1465852804' post='3071660']
You don't tour much, do you? :-)
[/quote]
I have done and have carried a bass in a hard case and another in a gig bag around with me all day. Inconvenient (and painful!), but worth it to know they are safe.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1465852963' post='3071663']
I have done and have carried a bass in a hard case and another in a gig bag around with me all day. Inconvenient (and painful!), but worth it to know they are safe.
[/quote]

Like many bands, we usually carry lots of instruments, It's just not practical. You just have to weigh up the risks, just like when you get on an aeroplane, or go on a roller coaster, or buy a lottery ticket.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1465852853' post='3071661']
I'm thinking particularly of instruments to which people have an emotional attachment, or for which they have a particular fondness. Irreplaceable items which an insurance pay out just wouldn't make up for.
[/quote]

I am lucky that I don't have any of those that leave the house. Or maybe unlucky, who knows.