Why become a member? ×

Guitar Star 2016

Becky was excellent. Got through to the last 8 over another very good female acoustic player (who I actually preferred at the time - no offence intended :unsure: ). The standard was very high though, with a couple of outstanding classical players (one of whom was all of 14! :o ), a good young rock player, an excellent old blues player with a guitar that looked like he'd pulled it out of a skip - fabulous tone though - and a couple of jazz guitarists (I actually have my eye on one of them to win the competition).

The judges were an impressive lineup too - Tony Visconti, George Benson and Milos (who I'd barely heard of even though he was involved last year, but very big in Classical guitar circles apparently).

Edited by leftybassman392

Watched the program, after every performance there was an inevitable barrage of questions from my wife as to how good they were in my opinion.

There were some good players, but I found the whole acoustic/percussive playing a but tedious. For me, the standout performances were the young kid playing Bohemian Rhapsody and the guy playing the jazzy stuff (with the brown guitar). Find it a little difficult to understand how that 'street musician' Dave actually made it on to the show.

Gave it a go.

Thankfully they've ditched Edith Bowman, she sucked all life out of it last year like some kind of entertainment vampire.

I don't like the invite only aspect, I know plenty of guitar players better than anyone on the show (can't name them as their heads are already too big).

Whilst programmes like x factor and the voice are devoid of musical talent, they do an amazing job of entertainment and have really changed the game for any form of talent show.
Guitar star really tries to aim too high brow and falls sadly short on the fun front.

I also didn't like that the mentors tutelage last year boiled down to an afternoon with the mentors.
Big whoop!

So for me, it's gone from last years most boring programme ever to this years bit on the dull side.

I was looking what else was on half way through.

Edited by ribbetingfrog

[quote name='ribbetingfrog' timestamp='1465983633' post='3072554']
So for me, it's gone from last years most boring programme ever to this years bit on the dull side.

[/quote]

Se... progress! :)

I do know what you mean about the presentation format though; all a bit po-faced, and if I had to be critical I'd say that George Benson - the great George Benson - looked like somebody waiting for the filming to end so he could collect his cheque and bugger off back to the hotel. Probably unfair, but that's how it looked.

Another point that might be worth making is that for the players - some of whom are pretty clearly still at school - it would have been quite a high-pressure situation. If your mates are that good in such a situation then let's see 'em! Perhaps you could post up some youTube links...? Or perhaps PM me with some details...? Not wishing to appear overly sceptical, but I always get a bit wary when I hear somebody say 'I know somebody who... ' etc., etc. My response is this:

Bully for them, but the people we did see were selected from those who made the effort to apply. If your mates are really too good for shows like this then (unless they're working pros already - in which case the show would be an irrelevance anyway) I wish them the best of luck in their future careers. Perhaps the great unwashed will have the pleasure and the privilege of seeing them in the flesh someday.

[quote name='Luulox' timestamp='1465988766' post='3072596']
I watched it and thought it was ok apart from the people who insist on playing acoustic guitar as though it is a set of drums. It was old and tedious 5 years ago and if I never see anyone doing it again it would be too soon.
[/quote]

yeah, that boils my piss too, that & bloody looper pedals.

Just waded halfway through the George Benson session. He did a short gig (which was great); everything since has been awful. He actually said at one point "This not about me: it's about you guys." In truth nothing thus far has been remotely about the candidates at all. It's been padded out with footage from a separate film about Benson's career, and the seminar session was just an embarrassment. Very disappointed and have turned it off. I have to believe that the other sessions will be more about the candidates than the mentors.

Just watched last nights 22-06-16.
Did seem to be a little like the George Benson show. Very little playing from the competitors and a bit to much of George telling us about his career and experiences. I would have liked more contribution from the players who have got through, not just a very successful musician playing and talking at us.
That is just my take on the show, I'm sure others will see things different.
I liked last year, so I hope this year is as good if not better, we shall see..