Why become a member? ×

Markbass Problem

Fionn

Hi folks.

Yesterday my CMD121P wouldn't power up. The first time that I flicked the switch to the "on" position, it made a wee crackling noise, the light came on for a second, then nothing. Same the second time, but less so. The third time there was nothing.

I tried again last night, and the result was exactly the same ... a momentary trace of life with a wee crackling sound, then nothing.

This morning it powered up as normal :/ ... Eh??????

The crackling sound didn't come from the speaker. It was the amp, possibly the switch its self, although I'm not sure.

I live in a remote part of the northern Highlands, so amp techs are not readily at my disposal. Has anyone got any ideas of what could be wrong?

Warranty expired ages ago, so it's on me.

Thanks in advance :)

Mcnach is, of course, right about checking the connection.

If this doesn't work, you can next take the amp out of the cabinet. Unplug the mains and the Jack link to the speaker. Then turn the cab on to its front and on the side that's now facing up there will be some large countersunk, black screws. Remove the screws and the amp will slide out of the cab.

The amp won't have a lid. So look inside and see if there are any foreign bodies in there. Check connections in there to make sure everything is plugged in properly.

Beyond that there's not a lot more a non-tech can do. But if you need to send the amp to a tech he will only need the amp, not the whole cab.

Good news above :)

I was about to suggest the other possible DIY fix is with the power switch. Depending on the switch, you may be able to squirt a small amount of contact cleaner into it. The other strategy is to replace the switch.