Why become a member? ×

Scott Devine going for it...

TheGreek

Love Scott's website - great lessons, great tuition, great way to expand on what you need to know.

This is Scott's latest video, "Impersonations" - he's really getting in to it. Part of the play along library:

http://www.scottsbasslessons.com/bass-lines-grooves/impersonations-play-along.html

I like Scott's playing. For my taste I have seen him on better form in some of his other videos. It is not very "funky", well played on the whole but not funky.

Still, keep 'em coming Scott, one of the better "tutors" on the net.

I like his playing, very tasteful and I've never seen him publish anything on YouTube that was self-indulgent or techy for the sake of it. Also he works with Geoff Chalmers who I've had a couple of lessons with in the past and thought was a great guy so he also scores Geoff's-mate points.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1466121198' post='3073564']
And yet still underrated.
[/quote]

Don't know where you get that from. :blink: I have seen many quotes about him, describing him as the best on line resource. However, I respect your opinion.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1466159853' post='3073736']
I think what FD is inferring is that yes, Scott is known and respected within the bass playing community, but probably not so well known compared to other talented players in well known bands and such like; i.e. not rated as widely rather than rated poorly. But for Basschat, I probably wouldn't be aware of him.
[/quote]

Fair enough, I hear what you are saying. However, I think there is a difference between being not so well known and being underrated. The latter would infer to me that he is well known, but under [i]appreciated. [/i]

Yes, perhaps he is not as [i]well known[/i] as he (and we...) might wish. I suppose this is to be expected when his main publicity outlet is teaching bass players, rather than say...promoting his band(s).

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1466197612' post='3074133']
Coilte, you seem to be getting awfully pedantic here.....
[/quote]

:D Perhaps. Personally, I don't really give a damn whether Mr Devine is a world renowned name or not. I just happen to disagree that he is underrated. I was merely giving the reasons why I hold this view.

Pedantic...? If you say so... ;)

Edited by Coilte

Great playing, and love the ghost notes (if that's what they are)?

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1466197612' post='3074133']
Coilte, you seem to be getting awfully pedantic here.....
[/quote]

FD - As I can be quite pedantic at times, I've got to leap to Colite's defence and say he isn't being so. I think he has made a very valid point in stating there is a difference between unknown (or shall we say not well known) and underrated - I know I have often misused the term. Pedantry would be picking up Colite's use of turning underrated into two words :ph34r:

Undoubtedly a quality player. Seems like a good bloke as well. Im not sure what he does outside of teaching, probably not a huge amount as running his business is probably more than a full time job! But, he has seems to have mastered the bass to the point that he would be a top session player/touring musician if that is the direction he chose, as opposed to teaching. Maybe he did that in the past, I don't know?

It's a shame he doesn't do private tuition. I'd definitely put the money together and travel once a month for a couple of hours of 1 to 1.

Would love to know more about Scott, especially if he's taught anyone of note (badump-tsh). I feel confident in saying he's more than capable of shining in any company. Genuinely one of my favourite musicians.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1466250749' post='3074408']
It's a shame he doesn't do private tuition. I'd definitely put the money together and travel once a month for a couple of hours of 1 to 1.

Would love to know more about Scott, especially if he's taught anyone of note (badump-tsh). I feel confident in saying he's more than capable of shining in any company. Genuinely one of my favourite musicians.
[/quote]

I think he used to do lessons via Skype. Not sure if he still does, as his site takes up a lot of his time.

He seems a very amicable and approachable guy. I'm sure if you sent him a message asking about the above or anything else, that he'd oblige.

Edited by Coilte

Love Scott, love Geoff. Met and hung out with both of them and what you see is what you get. They both genuinely care and yes to just about everything people have said on here. As for the underrated thing, all they're missing is their own masterclasses at the LBS. I'm sure that will come.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1466250406' post='3074405']
Undoubtedly a quality player. Seems like a good bloke as well. Im not sure what he does outside of teaching, probably not a huge amount as running his business is probably more than a full time job! But, he has seems to have mastered the bass to the point that he would be a top session player/touring musician if that is the direction he chose, as opposed to teaching. Maybe he did that in the past, I don't know?
[/quote]

Yes he very much has done all of that and has been an MD for international touring projects. He's also got two young kids now so how that's changed things I don't know but up until quite recently he was still posting on FB from gigs he was doing.