Why become a member? ×

Refused to gig last night - being unreasonable?

BNB71

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1466184622' post='3073991']
I would have played it. Broadly, a booking's a booking as far as I'm concerned. We've played more ill-organized, unpromoted gigs to the soundguy and a stray dog than I care to remember - but at the end of the day, at worst it's a free rehearsal.

Situations like this risk bands looking unprofessional & therefore jeopardising their reputations, and also risk creating schisms within the band. Speaking as someone who's been involved in booking gigs (in the past my band did a lot of gig shares & arranging our own nights) word does spread, and you soon learn which bands are reliable and who to avoid.
[/quote]

This I concur with!

[quote name='BNB71' timestamp='1466160974' post='3073752']
Turned up for my gig last night - 'feature band' following open mic - to find at the time we were supposed to be sound checking that the football was being shown over the stage, the promoter was nowhere to be seen and no one at the venue knew much about anything. So basically the promoter hadn't so much organised a gig as arranged for a band to turn up at a bar.

One of the bar staff eventually started clearing the stage but we had to sort the PA as they had no idea what to do with it. As far as we could tell there'd been no promotion worthy of the name for it and we've had previous with this promoter not letting us know what was happening with a gig until 4 o'clock that day. The bar staff apparently also asked our drummer if he had pads as last week the band had to stop after 2 songs due to complaints about noise!

By a hour after we were supposed to be soundchecking still no promoter so me and drummer walked.

This was our 4th gig playing indie (loosely) originals and unpaid. Rest of the band stuck around and did a short acoustic set.

So was I being unreasonable or is it time to take a stand against shoddy promoters???
[/quote]you did the right thing

Playing for nothing, messed about, FFS what is the point of doing useless gigs like this?

If you're booked, you play imho. It's all about professionalism and the good name of your band. Sometimes you just have to make the best of a situation - especially if you're being paid for it.

At the very least you can treat it as a free rehearsal, and it will be something to tell your grandchildren. Often the "challenging" gigs are the ones that you remember when you've racked up several hundreds over the years :)

The whole band should have walked and called out the shambles...
I wasn't there but people like this shouldn't be in business.
If you are desperate to play gigs and put up with this..expect a queue of like minded people lining up to do the same.

Things don't get better if this is the standard of the way people work..IMO.

I'd be wanting to know what the others guys were thinking... and wanting an explaination.

The age difference between you and the others may be a factor. I'd not have taken the gig in the first place. "Promoter" and "open mic night" would have been enough information for me to stay well clear.

Maybe your efforts are not valued by some as you are providing your services for free?

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1466238352' post='3074297']

At the very least you can treat it as a free rehearsal, and it will be something to tell your grandchildren. Often the "challenging" gigs are the ones that you remember when you've racked up several hundreds over the years :)
[/quote]free rehearsals? we've had quite a few of those over the years, and it's true about remembering the bad ones, a few years ago we were booked for a originals gig on a Monday night, well there was my partner there and a barman, and being the mugs we are my partner shouted more at the end of the gig as a joke, so we did another one, we still tell the story on a regular basis

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1466238352' post='3074297']
If you're booked, you play imho. It's all about professionalism and the good name of your band. Sometimes you just have to make the best of a situation - especially if you're being paid for it.

[/quote]

a free (or paid ;)) rehearsal is one where you're booked and show up and do your thing as if the place were full, when it isn't. It's not as much fun, obviously... but you act professionally and that's it.
However, I'd expect a place to be ready to have a band play. If the place is not ready, there's nobody in charge who knows what to do, promoter not contactable... I'd walk, unless the place is full of people eager to see you play.

Reputations work both ways. No, you don't want to be the unreliable band who show up late or walk out etc... but no reasonable person is going to blame you for walking out in a situation like the OP describes. You also don't want to be that band who plays the shittiest gigs, because then you become a 'sh*tty band' by association. You play bad gigs often, then you'll get lots more of those. Life's too short to waste it like that.

Well that's another thing - weeding out the sh*tty gigs by making phone calls and asking questions i.e. making sure they are expecting you a few days before the gig, checking "suppied" equipment has been provided and is suitable, etc.

If it was a paid gig, I would grit my teeth and do it. If there was a decent sized audience who were looking forward to the gig, I'd do it. But when there's no money and no interest shown in whether you play or not, by the promoter, the bar staff or the punters, I'd walk.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1466252313' post='3074425']
Well that's another thing - weeding out the sh*tty gigs by making phone calls and asking questions i.e. making sure they are expecting you a few days before the gig, checking "suppied" equipment has been provided and is suitable, etc.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, the guy who was in charge of this aspect (call him a promoter if you like) didn't...

The big problem with handing over responsibility for this type of thing is its out if your hands and sometimes if you turn up and everything is wrong you have to make a descision.

I think you made the right descision. Suitable entertainment was provided.

I once did an Irish party for an agent. We wern't an Irish band and it got really quite scary at points with large drunken Irishmen demanding you play that song that goes diddly oi! You know the one.

In the end we packed up early and they refused to pay us. That's the agent's problem as far as I'm concerned. Not good.

Edited by TimR

I would have walked.

It's also an example of what can happen to bands that play for nothing.

When you play for nothing you run the risk of being treated like nothing.

Take it as a learning experience. The same thing has happened to most of us at one time or the other.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1466272272' post='3074610']
The big problem with handing over responsibility for this type of thing is its out if your hands and sometimes if you turn up and everything is wrong you have to make a descision.

I think you made the right descision. Suitable entertainment was provided.

I once did an Irish party for an agent. We wern't an Irish band and it got really quite scary at points with large drunken Irishmen demanding you play that song that goes diddly oi! You know the one.

In the end we packed up early and they refused to pay us. That's the agent's problem as far as I'm concerned. Not good.
[/quote]

How is not getting paid not your problem?

Blue

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1466271357' post='3074602']
I just think any gig is exposure. No matter what the challenges, you play and people enjoy it All is forgotten once you have hit them with something good!!
[/quote]

Not really, some gigs are mistakes and nothing more than a waste of time for a band.

High profile gigs, that's a different story.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1466172709' post='3073874']
Looks like I'm going to be the lone voice of dissent then...

No matter how unprofessional everyone else acts, as a band you should always do your very best. Don't stoop to the low levels of the promoter and venue, but get up there and play the best gig you can. If you don't play you get to be known as the band that couldn't be bothered to do the gig. It doesn't matter if you are "in the right" this is a battle you can only win by playing the gig.

Then chalk it up to experience and have nothing to do with the promoter and venue again.
[/quote]

I'm an advocate of giving 100%, always give it your best. However, giving your best for an unpaid gig generally gets away from me.

Blue

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1466188923' post='3074054']
you did the right thing

Playing for nothing, messed about, FFS what is the point of doing useless gigs like this?
[/quote]

It was their 4th gig. I'm thinking this is a new and younger band.

Most younger bands have to go through the learning curve.

I'm sure they'll see it before it happens next time around.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1466274735' post='3074623']

How is not getting paid not your problem?

Blue
[/quote]

It's not my responsibility to chase non payment from a client. It's my responsibility to receive payment and pass the agent their %age of the fee.

The agreement is between the band and the agent, and the agent and the client. Not directly between the band and the client.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1466280415' post='3074690']

It's not my responsibility to chase non payment from a client. It's my responsibility to receive payment and pass the agent their %age of the fee.

The agreement is between the band and the agent, and the agent and the client. Not directly between the band and the client.

[/quote]

Understood, If a agent can book 2k gigs, that makes perfect sense, but an agent for bar/pub gigs?

Blue