Why become a member? ×

Is bass your priority?

BrunoBass

I'm really a bassist but I currently play lead guitar in one of my band and over the last 10 years of a 30yr playing career, as well as bass, I have ventured onto guitar, mandolin, banjo, harmonica and upright bass with varying degrees of success. These days I really enjoy guitar simply because I put the work into my playing and have got more confident but bass is something that I will always have roots with. I should add I still regularly gig and record with bass too, it's just the guitar band is busier.

OK, I can see I might be the odd one out here...

I am new to bass so it is my minority activity at the moment.... I play cello in several orchestras and I did a concert in Birmingham last weekend and Chester and Tenbury Wells the weekend before. I play tenor sax in a couple of wind bands and I played at the Bridgewater Hall with one a few weeks ago and I'm in the midst of the usual summer fetes/concerts with them at the moment (one on Sunday afternoon at Maghull). I'm an experienced choral singer and I've sung with chamber choirs and choral societies in everywhere from a village hall, stately home or two, about 2 dozen cathedrals and the Albert Hall.

Apart from that, I don't do much. Pic from last week's concert
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqs1km7c3gj0jy4/Concert-01.jpg?dl=0

Bass is my main instrument, but at home I play guitar and mandolin, although not brilliantly, but if/when I do hang up my bass, I would like to concentrate mainly on the mandolin, for me, it's such a lovely instrument, :)

I bought a bass recently (as a guitar player) purely to use on recordings and making the mistake I'm sure you all laugh at in thinking I'd be able to play the bass too by default.

Got it, couldn't play well at all so decided to practice a little bit and during that time I've fallen in love with the bass and have been mostly focusing on bass. Even just dropped 120 quid subscribing to Scott's Bass Academy.

Now I just need to make sure I don't forget about the guitar!

Bass and acoustic guitar are what I play most these days although still do the odd drum dep. As for priority, none of them really feel like they are. If I wasn't in any bands though and it was purely a hobby, I'd probably just play drums for my own amusement.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1466168380' post='3073821']
Basschat is, obviously, populated by bass players,
[/quote]

Well, certainly we all play bass - but I would question whether we are all "bass players", as the responses to this thread show.

Bass is the only instrument I can play with any skill, so I concentrate on that. It is also my favourite instrument, and the one I predominantly listen to in music. So I guess that makes me a bass player! :)

I played classical guitar as a teenager and hated it. I sill have the guitar, and haven't touched it for 40 years. Started playing bass aged 50 and it's certainly my main instrument. I also dabble on the cajon and have been the "house cajonista" at a few open mic evenings, accompanying anybody who came along and wanted a bit of percussion behind them. That feeling of comfortable improvisation is something I'll never have with my bass-playing, since I can only play basslines I have spent hours practising. So, in terms of hours spent, I'm a bass player first and cajon player second.

Edited by solo4652