Why become a member? ×

Switching from Cubase to Logic - any experiences.

sammybee

I'm considering making the switch from Cubase to Logic. Has anyone else here done the same?

I'm a long time Cubase user (since Pro16 on the Commodore 64 in the early 80's) and haven't really used anything else. So I'm specifically interested in the learning curve and how quickly one can accomplish basic tasks? Pros/Cons of Logic compared to Cubase? I have a newish Mac (i5/16gb) so I'm pretty confident I've got the hardware for it.

I'm not really interested in hearing about Reaper/Ableton/Pro-Tools. Other forums where this has been discussed seem to turn into fan-boy shouting matches, so I'm hoping for some good grounded opinions from BC.

Thanks for your input.

Hi Sammybee!

In the past I used Cubase quite a lot on PC based systems. I stopped using Cubase and switched to one of the other DAWs you mention for many years which came 'with me' as I moved to using a Mac. It was of course an obvious thing to do to switch to using Logic as well.

I have to say that my first experiences with the then Logic 9 did not go well! I found it confusing and the workflow did not seem errr.. logical in comparison to they way that I had learned from my other DAWs. Important note to make there. Some are similar in workflow and others are very different. [i]You'll find things in places that you might not think are where they should be or are easy to remember! Don't let that put you off, because it probably will! [/i]This is also one reason I hear from most people for choosing one DAW over another.

So, I moved up to Logic Pro X and found I had a similar problem as I still hadn't really had time to learn 9 thoroughly.

This is my recommendation to make life easy! Everything changed when I started using the Logic Remote app on my iPad (if you have one of course!!!) - I couldn't remember where to find certain commands on screen, but discovered you can essentially make your own board of regularly used commands and have them as separate buttons on the iPad screed to remote control LPX.

For example, if I am tracking an instrument I might have the obvious Record,Play,Stop buttons but even having a save, undo and the ability to jump back to where I started, or jump between takes at the touch of a button makes my life easier and I can create faster.

I hope that's a bit of help and just my experience alone switching from 'old' Cubase to 'new' Logic. I'm afraid I can't comment on the functionality of versions of Cubase that were already out when I switched to a different DAW.

Dan

Edited by dood

I made the switch some 6 years ago, and here is my take on it. Logic and Cubase are both hugely capable. The real question is, which one do you find it easiest to work with? If the way you think about tasks harmonises with the interface design, then that is the DAW for you. It will never be a perfect match, but I found with Cubase I was always reaching for the manual; with Logic much less so. But that, I emphasise, is just a result of the way I think about things and not any suggestion that the Logic interface is "better". A DJ friend of mind found Cubase worked for him, and bought my licence.

So my learning curve was pretty shallow and it all gelled pretty quickly.

One concern I have had is about Apple's commitment to its software. The good news is that a significant update for Logic was issued this week.

Why do you want to switch? I'm pretty much a Logic user and have been for 20 years now. However my reason for sticking with it has much to do with familiarity rather than feature set. I've dabbled with over DAWs - mostly Cubase - and find that the biggest stumbling block is working out how to do things in an unfamiliar environment. IMO all modern DAWs are much the same when it comes to features and once you've learnt the workflow for one why would you want to go through that process again. The only compelling reason I can see for moving away from Cubase is to get rid of the IMO unprofessional iLock dongle. Otherwise unless there is a particular feature in Logic that you have to have which is missing from Cubase, I'd advise sticking with what you know.

i switched from cubase to reaper a couple of years back. my advice would be unless you have a need to, don't do it, as you have to relearn a new software which can be infuriating. if you are embedded in cubase, changing can be more of a pain than a help.

as with any DAW, there a pros and cons to each, but they basically do the same thing and produce the same quality output, it's mainly down to the user skills and preference of how your workflow goes.

i'm assuming you are using a mac? my understanding is that logic is no longer available or supported on windows.

Edited by RockfordStone

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1466254944' post='3074443']
I did a 3 month part-time course on Cubase, and when it finished I was still totally baffled by it.

Logic I took to straight away. I find it to be far more intuitive than any other DAW that I've tried, including Pro-tools.
[/quote]

What did you find intuitive about it? And what baffled you about Cubase?

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1466277894' post='3074659']
i switched from cubase to reaper a couple of years back. my advice would be unless you have a need to, don't do it, as you have to relearn a new software which can be infuriating. if you are embedded in cubase, changing can be more of a pain than a help.

as with any DAW, there a pros and cons to each, but they basically do the same thing and produce the same quality output, it's mainly down to the user skills and preference of how your workflow goes.

i'm assuming you are using a mac? my understanding is that logic is no longer available or supported on windows.
[/quote]

I don't mind relearning if at the end of the path there is a pot of gold!

I agree with ambient on this one. I never took to Cubase at all, and that was after months of tinkering about with it. I've used Sonar for about seven years now and I can't recommend it highly enough, the new 'Sonar Platinum' package is incredible, and is made better by the fact they are now offering lifetime upgrades and updates free of charge (upon purchasing the software). It's definitely worth a look.

I've used Logic a lot as well, mainly in studios I have rented or traveled to, and i really like it. I found it incredibly user friendly and the midi interface on it is really nice, it would probably be my DAW of choice if I used Apple computers. I'd easily choose Logic over Cubase, and Pro Tools for that matter.

Edited by Light Grenade

Garageband is a stripped down version of Logic. Ideal for finding out if Logic is going to be for you. With Logic you have full control over all those presets & track stacks (track stacks are basically multiple VST tracks enveloped into one master VST track. Youtube it) as well as being able to manipulate Drummer to great detail (Drummer is Apple's version of EZDrummer, etc).

I used Cubase from the mid 90s through to about 2007 (along with an early version of Reason). Then I got my first Mac & only had Cubase for Windows. I installed Reaper, but I found I was using Garageband more.
I jumped to Logic about a year ago & it's all that I use now.

To me, Logic is worth buying just for some of the AU instruments & fx alone.

[quote name='sammybee' timestamp='1466284794' post='3074736']
I don't mind relearning if at the end of the path there is a pot of gold!
[/quote]
that's partly my point, no one DAW will give you results better than the others. regardless of what DAW you chose to go with, the result will be the same, it will just be the work flow you use to get there.

i would advise trying a couple of free trials and see what feels easier to use, and don't totally discount the likes of reaper, they are incredibly powerful for what they are.

the software itself won't instantly make your results better as they are basically the same, but if you get on with the interface and flow, that is what will improve you, so try a couple of feel which works easiest for you.

I've been having a play with GarageBand over the past couple of days - and find it a lot more intuitive. I've just found out a guy down the road uses Logic, so I might ask him if I can have a go with his before I splash the cash.

Anyone want a copy of Cubase 8.5 pro?