MacDaddy

Anyone who can start a song with:

Flies all green and buzzin,
In the dungeon of despair,
Prisoners grumble and piss their clothes,
And scratch their matted hair....

(from Zoot Allures)

Is worthy of your serious attention!

First track I ever heard and it got me hooked.

Ooh man, I just checked my record collection to see what a good place to start would be. I started with Overnight Sensation/Apostrophe, great playing some say his best band. I also love the period of Sheik Yerbouti/Zoot Allures etc.

But then things like Freak Out of Tinseltown Rebellion.

My favourite period is '73-84 roughly. Any record in these years will do. Great playing by Patrick O'Hearn, Scott Tunes, Tom Fowler, Roy Estrada during these years.

You have everything? Hats off sir! I have about 50 or so, which is roughly half what is out today and lots more still to come from the vault.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1466502507' post='3076240']
Just found out I'm an album short in my collection. A new Road Tapes (Vol 3) has just come out! Ordered.
[/quote]

As a taster there is always the 'Strictly Commercial' compilation. This has been rebadged as 'best of' on another label and is available quite cheaply secondhand, eg
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00067RH3A/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

As someone who has tried to make himself like Frank Zappa over the years without achieving total success, I've been following this thread with interest.

I will say though that there are some great bass lines that I enjoy playing along to, in particular:

Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance - fun to sing as well*

Peaches En Regalia - covered this in a jazz band I was in

Valley Girl - one story goes that FZ called Scott Thunes at 3am to come to the studio to put the bass down for this and his anger at having to do so is evident in his playing

* if anyone can advise me where I can buy a pair of Mod A Go-Go stretch-elastic pants I'd appreciate it!