Why become a member? ×

Musicman Caprice

KingPrawn

All the new demos on the Ernie Ball channel sound very good. I have no doubt this will be an excellent bass, as will the Cutlass, although it's hard to tell what they will actually sound like in these demos, the sound you're hearing is a mix of a recorded amp and a direct signal compression and EQ at the very least, and it's studio-massaged into perfection. But in terms making you want to own every bass on there, they've done a real good job :)

I was quite impressed with it and the new cutlass, but find it hard to forget that a few other companies have been making something very similar for a long time, so not really groundbreaking design.

Still, having had a root around their YT channel I'm pleased to see Joe Dart doing quite a few demo videos.

What is nice about these new models is that the limited editions Musicman produce, such as the current one which includes wildly figured roasted maple necks, ebony finger board and a special paint job are available on these 'traditional' style basses - although a mark up on normal prices they're still probably way less than something similar (if even available) on other manufacturer's offerings.

I really like the look and sound if these new passive basses, although not so sure I would buy one personally. They have a lovely growl to them but sound like a cross between an active musicman bass and a passive fender bass. I have a stingray and a sterling for active sound, and a fender pj for when I want passive, I just don't know whether I would want/need something in between.
Of course, if money was no object, I'd have one of these and and a cutlass in a heartbeat 😃

I bought my first Stingray last year and I will add superb build quality to all the other points made here. The detail is so "right" too. The nut, the truss-rod adjuster, the metalwork - these basses are not going to let you down on a gig. Perhaps the Caprice is re-interpreting a familiar formula but it appears to be doing it with a lot of style.