Why become a member? ×

strange electrics noises

alyctes

I've an old, cheap fretless which has been u/s for a while. It's passive; the controls are V/V/T.

The problem is, it's noisy. It doesn't seem to be earth noise (it gets louder when I touch the strings... !).

It gets very much worse when I turn one of the volume pots, and the same with the tone pot. Turning both the volume up and the tone forward... what a racket.

What might the problem(-s) be? How might I diagnose it?

Edited by alyctes

It gets worse when you turn "one" of the volume pots? Does it get worse when you turn the other volume pot as well?

I would start by connecting one of the pups straight to the jack; eliminating the pots and the other pup.
Then connect the other pup in the same way. This would tell you if the pup has a problem.

Thanks. It occurs to me it may be the capacitor, as there is a rapid click (every 1/3 second or so) in the buzz.

I'm a bit surprised that it does happen on both pups; I didn't think it did, but it does.

I've just managed to break the connection from earth to jack; I'll resolder that, connect one pup directly, and get back to you. Thanks again.

You don't describe the noise so it is hard to make any diagnosis.

There aren't many components there to replace, and they are all inexpensive, so economically it might be quicker and cheaper to replace the lot and have confidence in the bass from then on rather than to replace things piecemeal. If one pot has corrosion in it because of the storage conditions then the others are likely to be not much better. If you wanted to check the pup's before you do this then use the method Rich suggested first.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1466341495' post='3075063']
Thanks. It occurs to me it may be the capacitor, as there is a rapid click (every 1/3 second or so) in the buzz.
[/quote]

Doesn't seem likely that a capacitor (presumably in the tone control components) would cause a periodic click.
Easy enough to check by disconnecting. Last time I (well a guitarist) had something like this it turned out to be caused by something like a Sky Box or DVD player in a downstairs room.
If it were every second I'd say it was your watch - took me ages to realise that when I had the problem with single coil strat type pickups. Doh !

[quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1466416113' post='3075582']
Doesn't seem likely that a capacitor (presumably in the tone control components) would cause a periodic click.
Easy enough to check by disconnecting. Last time I (well a guitarist) had something like this it turned out to be caused by something like a Sky Box or DVD player in a downstairs room.
If it were every second I'd say it was your watch - took me ages to realise that when I had the problem with single coil strat type pickups. Doh !
[/quote]
Yeah it occurred to me it might be radio pickup. Old corroded connections often act as diodes and single coils make great aerials.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1466428596' post='3075705']
Yeah it occurred to me it might be radio pickup. Old corroded connections often act as diodes and single coils make great aerials.
[/quote]
Which is why I suggested eliminating all the other components and get it right down to basics and check out the pup and jack only. If that gives a clean output, then we're safe in saying to ditch the pots and cap. Get a new harness and all will probably be ok.

If it's still noisy, then it's probably an earth issue?

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1466406079' post='3075498']
You don't describe the noise so it is hard to make any diagnosis.

There aren't many components there to replace, and they are all inexpensive, so economically it might be quicker and cheaper to replace the lot and have confidence in the bass from then on rather than to replace things piecemeal. If one pot has corrosion in it because of the storage conditions then the others are likely to be not much better. If you wanted to check the pup's before you do this then use the method Rich suggested first.
[/quote]

Thanks for that advice; I've asked KiOgon for the cost of a new loom (not buying until I know the pups are sound). At this point I'm taking the chance to learn my way around the existing electrics a bit and get some confidence in my soldering, so I'll try both options.

The noise is as if there's an open circuit somewhere, a rapid "beating".

Edited by alyctes

I've connected the neck pickup straight across the output jack. The pup plays. Remembering to connect the bridge earthing lead to the output jack earth-side really helps :D

There's still an earthing problem, but not bad and completely eliminated if I touch the bridge (not as good - fainter, but still there - if I touch the strings).

Same on the bridge pickup. Earthing is not good but the pickup works.

Edited by alyctes

The truss rod is stuck. I've stuck some 3-in-1 oil on it, and we'll see in the morning. So I'm not doing any more to it tonight, and possibly ever. :(

Thank you all for your time and effort; it's been educational.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1466482835' post='3076123']
That's not good with the neck. Sorry to hear that. If the oil doesn't work. try WD40 and try moving it to loosen off, rather than tightening.
[/quote]

I love advice like this - correct as soon as you hear it, but not obvious until then. Thank you :)

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1466506526' post='3076280']
As Grangur says if your truss rod adjuster is seized, loosen it rather than tighten it as you're less likely to break it. I'd also recommend a proper penetrating oil such as Plusgas
[/quote]

I will give it a go. So far, no joy :(

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1466771916' post='3078653']
Sorry to hear that mate.
[/quote]

Thanks. I was going to hang on to it, but it's not worth anything, I have a better fretless fiver, and I need the space. Strip for bits it is.

In all honesty, it's sad but it pales into insignificance this morning.

Edited by alyctes