Why become a member? ×

can't work out if my old band was good or not!

tanuki

A drunken friend showed everyone a video by my old band today, i ended up listening to some old stuff and couldn't decide if it was great or just wrong! Its mostly from around 2001 - 2003, we got signed but they had no idea how to market us around britpop so things went a bit sour before our album could be released.. Or even mixed for that matter!

Its nice to share as no-one will hear this otherwise! An odd 5 piece band making music with instruments and kid's toys, for Bristolians the singer later became Kid Carpet and we were the ones who build Toybox Studios out of blagged carpet squares and hand dried sand...

Id love to hear any thoughts, my bass playing on this annoys me in hindsight, like i say, the album never got finished so these are working mixes we took away..

https://soundcloud.com/guy-fowler/sets/actual-size

or laugh at the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhA70t5wdoU

Edited by tanuki

Ive only watched the video but I think its a really good sound. A laid back almost indie reggae vibe. I hope you don't mind comparisons but if Finlay Quaye and Radiohead a few years back hooked up?? You get my drift?. Good production. The video defo keeps you interested as its pace matches the song. There is definitely room for this in the in the world of music.

Thanks for all the kind words, and yeah, i think we played the Cardiff Barfly a few times back then.. At the time we were one of those bands who didn't quite fit in and the record company had trouble working out how to market us.. Was a fun band though..

The video actually got banned from MTV at the time for featuring crashed cars etc, seemed quite ridiculous but the media went very careful directly after 9/11 so a lot of people got hit with ridiculous bans!

Your band sounds pretty generic for the time, and I don`t mean that in a bad way. I can`t understand how the label didn`t know how to market you. If I had known about you back in those days, I would have been interested in your seeing your band.

Sounds amazing. And your working mixes make my finished mixes sound like something recorded on a phone. Clearly I have much to learn.

I found it very reminiscent of the late 90s rather than early 00s. That isn't a criticism, but I wonder if that was a contributing factor with your label. Britpop was over, and people had moved on to Coldplay and Travis, or the awful commercial distillation of DnB and Jungle - it was a bit of a low-point.