Why become a member? ×

70's Musicman SixtyFive amp and 15" cabinet.
£500

tanuki

Up for sale is this rare Musicman SixtyFive amp head with matching 1x15 cabinet.. These were the amps Leo Fender designed on the sly during his period of not being allowed to make things..

This amp is pretty unique in that it has a solid state preamp section with tube power, sounds odd but the sound is incredible, real old school heaven with the ability to do a bit more with the great EQ section. I used this for years as a "secret weapon" for recording, it also spent some time at Toybox studios in Bristol where it was always a popular choice. The great thing about this amp is that it is also very light!

They designed these as bass / organ amps so its also great with keys and guitar.. i also found it was great for Double Bass..
Condition wise it is old of course so plenty of mojo and the occasional tolex tear, there is also a split in the silver speaker cloth but doesn't effect sound at all, its visible in these photos..

Its currently living in ideal conditions at a friends studio so until i grab it later in the week here are some photos from a while back.. It looks the same now but will take detailed photos of tubes etc..

[url="http://s40.photobucket.com/user/eatupyourgreens/media/Bass%20Gear/mm1.jpg.html"][/url]

[/URL]

[url="http://s40.photobucket.com/user/eatupyourgreens/media/Bass%20Gear/mm3.jpg.html"][/url]

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1466325057' post='3074872']
How useful are these heads for live situs? Are they more suited to recording do you think?
[/quote]

Hi there, the amp is good for live, kicks out a surprising amount for such a small amp but i guess there is always that thing where tube watts always seem to have a much higher apparent volume than solid state.. The only time i ran into trouble with it was in a very large venue where for some strange reason they decided not to put it through the PA! My guess is its much the same as using a B-15..

[quote name='CalDeep' timestamp='1466364604' post='3075325']
Where abouts are you based?
[/quote]
I'm based in Bristol, could work out shipping the amp if possible..

Edited by tanuki

• 6 months later...

Hi there, the amp and cab are both still for sale, I am currently out of the county travelling with limited internet so appogies for delays, I aim to come back at the end of the month or definitely by February 10th

• 5 months later...