Why become a member? ×

perfectly clean hi-fi quality amp for recording/practise

zawinul

My vote goes to Phil Jones. I'd consider something like a PB100 powered cab. As it has a line input, you could put any kind of preamp in front to get the colour you want. You could add further PB100's if you needed more power.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a PA cab, as most single cabs don't have the low frequency extension and don't sound as good as a Phil Jones with a low B. Also, who needs tweeters for bass, unless you want to introduce some hiss :)

I did that whole uncoloured thing - hellborg pre into power amp into acme b2
All of the above are good...
Glockenklang and barefaced big series also good.

I've ended up with a Mesa walkabout - it's just more fun sounding

The key question IMHO is do you want to gig?

If the answer to that question is no, then you are much better off spending your cash on things like room treatment, decent active studio monitors (which will reproduce low frequencies and get plenty loud) and top quality DI, all of which will really enhance your recording experience(and still work for practising).

Id also say MarkBass, but add anther variable on the Barefaced BB idea could be a One10... If a cab is the right route. It's also seriously small in size, like the PJBS are, for use a time home.

That's what I use in the lounge at home: LM3 and a One10

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1466428382' post='3075703']
OK I hope everyone is calm now.

If by uncoloured you mean that you want to get as close as possible to the sound your bass is putting out at the jack socket, with nothing added or taking away then taking the signal from that point is really the only way. Wanting to hear that in your room is perfectly sensible too. The best way of doing that would be to split your signal at that point using a DI sending one signal to the recording and the other half to a PA speaker of floor monitor, the only system really designed to give you a flat response. even the highest quality PA will add distortion and subtract information as will any mic and so will room acoustics.

Any bass amp with tone controls is going to colour the sound and any bass speaker will almost certainly have had some optimisation for bass. Even a PA speaker (true of any speaker) is an engineered compromise so 'uncoloured' is a relative term.

If you go this route you are guaranteed as uncoloured as you can get for your recording and the demands you are placing on your bass amp/monitor become practical considerations. You can probably try an active PA speaker easily enough as any muso mates will probably have one.

If this advice isn't what you wanted to hear then don't get angry, it is well meant, I think it is accurate and you are free to ignore advice you don't like.
[/quote]

Perfectly good advice cheers!!

I don't want a PA I want a bass amp and cab, but thanks for all the input, it would seem that Phil Jones is a name for clean , I may wait for the Studio 77 soon to be released , could be the answer!!

Cheers peeps, sorry i got narked, love and peace, and bass