Why become a member? ×

Effects Advice please...

uk_lefty

I have been round the houses with having loads of individual effects, multi-effect pedals... and now I'm trying to be sensible. Being sensible means selling off pedals I don't use (Micro Q-Tron being one) in my band and focussing on key sounds that are useful and work in the band scenario.

I now want to make the most out of what I have got but make some decisions on pedal order based off the greater experience of other effects users...

My current set up is as follows:

Harley Benton Tuner/ Mute > Hartke Bass Attack VXL > Boss Flanger > Mooer Fuzz/ OD > Boss LMB-3 Limiter Enhancer...

The tuner is fine, doing its job, no issues.

Bass Attack - great for getting my clanky P-Bass tone that i like out of any amp i set flat and go in to. Not getting much from it in terms of OD though and finding it hard to find a good sound for my Hohner headless which comes out for a few songs in the set. Overall I want to keep it in the chain for making sure I get my sound when using festival backlines, PA and rehearsal room gear. Should this be at the front of my chain or nearer the back?

Boss Flanger - provides a nice swirly sound on a few songs, I like it, its staying. But where in the chain should it sit? Would this clash with a chorus (thinking of getting one again)

Mooer Thunderball - does its job ok, I'm not a distortion freak so it gets used sparingly. Felt this was best off after the tone shaping and Flanger?

LMB-3 - a real quandary on this one. It works great at home but needs more work at volume in rehearsal room. I feel i need it to even out the sound between my P-Bass and my headless (which gets slapped a little) but I find it often "softens" the sound and can mess up volume. Really stuck with whether to keep it at all. Also, should this go at the front of the chain or the back? Does the VXL make this redundant?

Edited by uk_lefty

For me it's all down to what you hear?

The hartke at the front seems the norm, if it's time shaping and not for drive however if you want the other effects in the di to foh then maybe the end is better, I prefer flanging drive and driving chorus, so I have my cog chorus before my drives/fuzz and my mood cluster flux after. All down to how it sounds to you as the chorus even on a heavier setting before a drive isn't as noticeable.

All down to ears tho, with the boss Lmb-3 id say try it after drive and before and see how it effects the feel, maybe not a massive change in sound but as with comps it's sometimes more a feel thing

Andy

Edited by 0175westwood29