Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Control and Ampeg Bi-Amping

chriswareham

Got tired of losing the bottom end of my sound when engaging my chorus pedal and, on drop tuned songs, when I engage my distortion pedal. So I decided to go the "bi-amping" route, since I use either a pair of SWR cabs or an Ampeg fridge that has separate inputs for each set of four speakers. I'm using an MXR switch pedal in a setup like this:

The result is perfect - with the chorus and distortion pedals off I can use the 140 as a "boost", and with the effects pedals on I still have an enormous bottom end (ooh err missus):

Edited by chriswareham

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1466542342' post='3076716']
Looks great. I have always regretted selling my Acoustic 140, albeit around 25 years ago! I really like the look of those tiny pedals, what are they exactly?
[/quote]

The 140 was my first Acoustic amp. Imported it from the US and had it modded with a new transformer for UK/EU voltage as well as a few tweaks to bring it up to modern safety specs. The 370 is a recent acquisition from someone in the UK, and the voltage conversion had already been done.

The pedal board is actually one I use for keyboards, I was just mucking about with the echo pedal when this picture was taken. The pedals and board are made by Mooer, and are amazing value clones of classic pedals such as the MXR Phase 90 and EH Electric Mistress.

[quote name='Westenra' timestamp='1466548842' post='3076785']
Are those acoustic amps really all that?
[/quote]

The 370 and previous 360 model were the de-facto standard for many top bands and often provided as backline at the big festivals in the late 1960s and early 1970s. They were much more powerful than most of the valve amps of the day, considerably lighter and being solid state were very reliable. Acoustic used very good quality components, and actually offered a lifetime guarantee on them! They are very loud, and have a great tone but lack the versatility of modern amps.

The 360 was actually just a pre-amp, with the poweramp in the accompanying Acoustic 301 speaker cab or cabs.The 370 combined the pre and power amps in a single unit, and the accompanying cabs lost the power amps. With two cabs the load is 2ohms, which the 370 was designed to cope with. I'm running my 370 and 140 into 4ohms (Ampeg) or 8ohms (SWR) but they''re still astonishingly loud.

Oh, that's very purty :)

I've always wanted to have an Ampeg fridge to do just that. Bottom 4x10 being run from a pre/power combo for all the tasty clean bottom end and the top 4x10 run through some effects pedals and a good ol'fashioned valve amp. That would be my GAS rig.....

I have everything except the fridge hehehe