Why become a member? ×

Avalon U5 live use

harrison

Anyone got any experience of using an Avalon U5 live?

I've used them in plenty of different studios but recently seen a few interviews and 'rig rundowns' where bass players use them as part of their live set up. It seems like an interesting idea. In my mind i'd be thinking of using it as a high end DI. This has come from having spent decent money on an amp set up for FOH engineers to then just take a direct DI bypassing the amp altogether. Thus only i enjoy the the sound that i've spent time and money crafting and the audience just get often a cheap DI box sound.

Would very much appreciate anyones experience or advice on this.

Thanks,
Harry

Though it doesn't directly answer your question... but the best live bass mix I've ever heard was Nick Fyffe with his band The Temperance Movement.

He just uses a REDDI for FOH signal and uses his Fender Bassman rig as a monitor of sorts, I couldn't see a cab mic anywhere. I've seen them a few times in various different sized venues (most recently main stage at a major music festival) and each time his tone was just on point - probably the only time I've been to a loudish gig and been able to hear the little bass tone nuances you hear on a recording.

So for me, if I had the cash, i'd definitely invest in a nice DI! :happy:

Thumbs up from me as I used one for about a year on live gigs. Total blow away the crap DI boxes most live guys use.
Does the audience notice ????? Probably not.
I would still use one if I was actively gigging though.

Interesting about the Reddi. It does seem to get high praise, i'd not really heard of it before. I suppose the Avalon is slightly more versatile sound-wise and especially in terms of home studio recording. But then i'll be mostly using it live for at least the rest of this year.
It seems more research is in order.

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1466436204' post='3075787']
Though it doesn't directly answer your question... but the best live bass mix I've ever heard was Nick Fyffe with his band The Temperance Movement.

He just uses a REDDI for FOH signal and uses his Fender Bassman rig as a monitor of sorts, I couldn't see a cab mic anywhere. I've seen them a few times in various different sized venues (most recently main stage at a major music festival) and each time his tone was just on point - probably the only time I've been to a loudish gig and been able to hear the little bass tone nuances you hear on a recording.

So for me, if I had the cash, i'd definitely invest in a nice DI! :happy:
[/quote]

Just been listening to The Temperance Movement off the back of this thread, great stuff :)

• 1 month later...

I came to this conclusion too a few years ago with lots of gigs abroad without my own amp and gigs in the UK where they would produce Behringer (and worse!) DI boxes to plug into.

My experience is that slightly smaller boxes (Aguillar Tonehammer / MXR DI / or similar) are very good build quality, fit on a pedal board and provide a sound quality which is basically as good as the U5 / REDDI. They're cheaper and more portable too (both the U5 / REDDI are an extra bag / flight case). So that's where I'd look.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using it for year and a half as DI on live gigs. It is a totally unnecessary overkill that makes no audible difference compared to high quality active DI like Klark DN100 or Radial J48.

It is better to invest in a sound guy who knows what to do with signal he gets from DI box.

Edited by bobe01

Any advantages that such a high end DI brings is lost in a live environment. Unlike a studio, you don't have the same quality between interconnects and after going through the desk and outboard, the PA speakers are nothing compared to what you'd get on hi end headphones or hi speakers. I'd save your money... unless you just want it for bragging rights or it makes you feel happy.

In short, it's not going to give you tone nirvana in a live situation. bobe01's advice about sound guys is where it's at.

I use it live.

100% agree that the advantages it brings get lost in a live setting, although it is nice that I can control volume and eq if the soundman turns out to be an absolute plonker. It is super sweet sounding though, live and in studio.

Edited by HazBeen