Why become a member? ×

Ashdown CTM-100

ozzy138

A question for all you valve amp users out there.....

Im looking at getting my first valve head and the CTM-100 seems to fit the bill. Would 100 watts be enough to keep up with two loud guitarists and drummer in a garage punk/rock & roll outfit?

Im not after a clean, hifi sound so i was thinking that the CTM cranked a fair bit should keep up with them?

Im using a P bass and the cab will probably be either a Ashdown 4x10 or 6x10

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ozzy

Yes. I have the same head going through an Ashdown Neo 1x15. It's loud. With the gain at elevenish and the master at twelve ish, and that's with the deep bass switched in. The tone controls act as volume as well, if the tone controls are all set at zero no sound will come out even with the gain and master cranked.

Fingers crossed my BF410 should land this week for even more noise.

It's a great head, go try one but remember to crank it in the shop and have a good fiddle with all the knobs and dials.

Edited by 2elliot

I use a CTM 100 in a loud band. It can hold its own at full-on band level, providing things don’t get silly. I’ve done some gigs just with backline and a vocal PA only, and its been fine. The amp isn’t super-clean at those levels tho – you’re into snarlsville (in a good way:). Personally I think it sounds sweeter at lower volumes, but the power-stage (when driven) certainly gives it some clout.

It’s probably worth mentioning that the gain stage breaks up early - I have to have the gain set below 1/4 with my basses, else it’s a bit too bitey. Also the EQ is subtle. The push buttons alter the sound quite a bit, but you can’t make really significant changes with the knobs. So things can get a bit slushy if the guitarists don’t/won’t tweak their EQ to accommodate how this amp sounds (I bring an EQ pedal just in case!). The core tone is fantastic.

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1466596317' post='3077059']
I use a CTM 100 in a loud band. It can hold its own at full-on band level, providing things don’t get silly. I’ve done some gigs just with backline and a vocal PA only, and its been fine. The amp isn’t super-clean at those levels tho – you’re into snarlsville (in a good way:). Personally I think it sounds sweeter at lower volumes, but the power-stage (when driven) certainly gives it some clout.

It’s probably worth mentioning that the gain stage breaks up early - I have to have the gain set below 1/4 with my basses, else it’s a bit too bitey. Also the EQ is subtle. The push buttons alter the sound quite a bit, but you can’t make really significant changes with the knobs. So things can get a bit slushy if the guitarists don’t/won’t tweak their EQ to accommodate how this amp sounds (I bring an EQ pedal just in case!). The core tone is fantastic.
[/quote]

+1!
The EQ knobs are enough for me to clear up the tone of a Thunderbird, but they don't really offer the same "tone-sculpting" that a lot of modern, solid-state heads offer. (Though if you're playing punk/rock this may be less of an issue!) And it does break up quite early, but then I assume that you're considering valves because you're after that sort of tone!

Mine used to do keep up just fine when it was powering a Laney 1 x 15. Now I've upgraded to a Berg 2x12 I feel like I could possibly even drown out our drummer...!

Yes. You are right about the EQ. It's very subtle, the buttons do make a big difference, but the controls are limited.

Luckily it sounds great when you plug straight in. I suppose a compact 100W BTA head would be my ideal amp... If they made one.

Maybe ashdown would like to make me a one off, just to test of course, probably over a 25 year period or until I pop me clogs... that would be helpful.