Why become a member? ×

Memphis, Nashville, Muscle Shoals, Clarksdale

Mickeyboro

Having spent the last ten months travelling the world on a 'geriatric gap year', I am planning a road trip to the above destinations in August as the unashamedly music-centred finale.

As BC members betwen them have done everything already (!), I would love to hear any hints and tips you've gathered from previous trips. Apart from the fact it's gonna be flipping hot...

Thanks all!

It's all on my bucket list - in fact I think it's all that is on my bucket list!

I did a Gram Parsons pilgrimage in 2010, hired a car and drove through California and stayed at the Joshua Tree Inn, in the room he died in. Naashville / Memphis next time, I have promised myself.

I did a road trip around the USA, but it was in 1991 so things may have changed. It was a bit of a musical pilgrimage so the first tip... I had a load of tapes (well it was 1991) so I could listen to the appropriate music in the appropriate place... like "Sweet Home Alabama" in Alabama (yes, I know they were Floridians, but it pleased me), Mellencamp in Indiana and so on. It's also worth tuning in to the local radio stations, but they are a bit parachial so fade in and out quite quickly. But it's great driving down a long empty highway with American rock blasting out. But keep to the speed limit while you're doing it...
I was a bit underwhelmed by Nashville, but that might have been me... I've got far more into country music since then. Memphis was great and there is nothing like Beale Street at night. It's also worth a visit to Graceland, even if you're not an Elvis fan.
Overall.. it was a fantastic trip... and it will stay with you forever.
Another tip, hotels have to give you special cheap rates if you phone ahead, rather than just turn up (in 1991, at least). There is usually a Tourist Information shop on the Interstate just after you cross a state line... I used to stop at these and get them to book my room ahead at wherever I was going. Maybe you can still do this.
Have fun... and don't get too drunk in Bourbon Street... the cocktails are like rocket fuel and come in pint glasses.

Edited by Trueno

In Nashville, set aside an entire evening just to drift from bar to bar along the strip.

The quantity of music, and the standard of musicianship and showmanship on display on any random evening will take your breath away.

Then the locals tell you that the best musicians playing in bars tonight never play the strip ...

I went to Nashville and Memphis in May. Ace. Nashville has the strip which is full of bars and Honky Tonks. Almost every bar has one or more bands on at any time. Different floors, same bar, different bands. Just enjoy the ambience. It's amazing. TAKE ID they ask everywhere irrespective of age. Im 53!
Memphis and Beale St are as you'd expect, same tons of bars and bands in each. We saw an amazing Jerry Lee Lewis tribute in place and the standard of musicianship is off the scale. Many bars serve in plastic glasses then punters can walk up and down as people tend to hang on the street (which is pedestrianised) and stop outside any bar. BB Kings club was great too BUT def worth checking Graceland, Sun Records, Stax Museum and the Gibson Factory tours. It is scruffy and a bit seedy but felt safe enough. The food was awesome too. Barbecue everywhere! You will not be disappointed. Enjoy.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1466512246' post='3076341']
How do you feel about Cowboy Boots ?
[/quote]

There are a few cowboy stores in Nashville. Worth a visit and, in that location, they actually look OK. DO NOT BE TEMPTED - not in the UK! hahaha

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1466514043' post='3076374']
There are a few cowboy stores in Nashville. Worth a visit and, in that location, they actually look OK. DO NOT BE TEMPTED - not in the UK! hahaha
[/quote]

Yes, both myself and the wife got kitted out with boots in Nashville.
On our trips over the pond, they tend to make a regular appearance. Not so much here (UK). :D

I'd also recommend New Orleans, it's the coolest place I've been. Clarkesdale was great, stay at the Shack Up Inn but remember the onsite Juke Joint is closed Mondays. I was abit underwhelmed by Memphis. Drive the Natchez Trace Parkway if you can.

I lived and worked in Nashville for more than a decade.

All the recommendations on here are good. I haven't been back to N.O. since Katrina but buddies down there say that the 9th ward (where the residents are primarily either black, musicians, or both) was worst hit and worst tended after. Sad. A huge number were re-located out of state and decided to stay put & earn their living where they were sent.
But Austin really should be at the front of your list. Amazing live scene.

I've done all of these places - will try to gather my memories. As a fairly experienced US road trip person I can say that the journeys from place to place aren't the most interesting.

On a lot of my trips the journey itself has been fascination but the roads and countryside in this area get very samey very quickly :(

I'd plan to move from each one to the next as quickly as possible but add in more time at each destination to get a proper feel for the pace :)

I was in Nashville last weekend. It was a bit of a whistle stop bourbon fuelled bender to be honest. I went with my brothers who aren't as into the music, but just randomly popping in to the bars on the strip we saw some great bands. I really couldn't believe the number of people out at the gigs, actually dancing and enjoying the music. It made me wonder why the hell I'm still sat here in Stoke trying to get a recording studio off the ground.

The tip above to be wary of the cocktails is very wise

Good advice from Bassmonkey above. When in Memphis absolute must do's are Stax Museum, Gracelands, Sun Records, Rock and Soul Museum, Gibson Guitar factory (get yourself onto one of the factory tours).

Beale Street is where it all happens most days of the week but the best evenings are on the weekend. Try and check out Rum Boogie Cafe as the house band there were great. BB Kings also has some good acts. Also if you get chance call into the Peabody Hotel just before 11.00am or 5.00pm for the duck parade B) It can only happen in the US. Oh and the Bass Pro shop has absolutely nothing to do with bass guitars :unsure: - still worth a visit however.

Nashville has quite a different scene, still very interesting though. Try and do the backstage tour at the Ryman Auditorium and also at the Grand Ole Opry. They broadcast shows most evenings from the Opry and its worth a visit. Its a bit of a lottery as to who will be performing but still worthwhile. The Country Music Hall of Fame is a must and this includes a trip out to the RCA Studio where literally over a 1000 of hits were recorded. Keep a look out at the City Winery as to who is performing there, they have some good acts and as previously been mentioned there are dozens of Honky Tonk bars along the strip all with live bands kicking off at mid-day until the early hours. And if you get all 'countried out' you can always call into BB Kings Blues Club in 2nd Ave North, just off Broadway - great house band there as well.

Quite a bit further north for you but if you have an opportunity try and get to Detroit and visit Motown Studio A.

You'll have an awesome time.

George Gruhn's store on lower broad in Nashville is always worth a visit.

Also if you want to see a really BIG used equipment store, check this place out!
https://www.facebook.com/MrMarksUsedMusicEquipmentStore/

Tell Mark Ivan sent you - he is a buddy from way back.