Why become a member? ×

More upgrades to my bassist?!

charic

Now my bassist has a new overdrive (Darkglass B3K)
And a new compressor (TC Hypergravity)

Next up is the amp and cab. He's seriously missing his old SVT2 but damaged his back a bit a few years back and isn't comfortable shifting the weight around (oh to have roadies...).

At the moment it's looking like a Barefaced410 and a subway D800. From all accounts this should be MORE than loud enough for our heavy handed drummer and should have enough "[b]HEFT[/b]" to hit the back of his legs like he wants. Would he be best of going for the 2ohm Barefaced410 do we think?

Good shout on the amp.

Depending on what he's done to his back 4x10's can be a little awkward to left given the handle positions - some find lifting two 1x12's easier, might be worth doing a test-lift before spending.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1466514304' post='3076377']
Good shout on the amp.

Depending on what he's done to his back 4x10's can be a little awkward to left given the handle positions - some find lifting two 1x12's easier, might be worth doing a test-lift before spending.
[/quote]

He moves a peavey 4x10 fairly easily at the rehearsal room so I'm not too worried :)

[quote name='deksawyer' timestamp='1466514259' post='3076375']
It gives full power at 4 or 2 ohms so it doesn't matter, but I'd get a 4ohm cab to give the amp an easier life. You can always add another cab later if required.....

D.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure it comes in 8ohm or 2Ohm options only :)

[quote name='Joebethell' timestamp='1466512782' post='3076350']
2ohm is what I went for its a beast!
[/quote]

That's what we like to hear ;) unfortunately there aren't any to try out before laying down cash :(

[quote name='doomed' timestamp='1466514494' post='3076387']
I went for the 8ohm version as I don't have an amp that runs down to 2ohms. He's not going to be left wanting for volume whichever option he takes.
[/quote]

Out of interest, what would happen if someone used a 4ohm cab with the 2ohm version? Amp go bang?

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1466514589' post='3076390']
Out of interest, what would happen if someone used a 4ohm cab with the 2ohm version? Amp go bang?
[/quote]

Wired in series (OBBM can make up such a connection box...) it would be fine. Wired in parallel (as is the 'norme' with amps and cabs...), probably 'magic smoke'. I know of no bass amps that will accept a load of less than 2 ohms without complaint.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1466515377' post='3076399']
Wired in series (OBBM can make up such a connection box...) it would be fine. Wired in parallel (as is the 'norme' with amps and cabs...), probably 'magic smoke'. I know of no bass amps that will accept a load of less than 2 ohms without complaint.
[/quote]

Sorry, I got myself muddled lol

I meant a 4Ohm [b]AMP [/b]with a 2Ohm [b]CAB[/b]

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1466515697' post='3076402']...
I meant a 4Ohm [b]AMP [/b]with a 2Ohm [b]CAB[/b]
[/quote]

In that scenario, you're in fire extinguisher territory. If an amp will accept 2 ohms without damage, the manufacturer would almost certainly make that very clear as a selling point. If they say 4 ohms minimum, then 4 ohms minimum it is. I'd make some exception for 'old school' valve amps with a 4 ohm setting, but even then I wouldn't try my luck for too long at high o/p levels.
The short answer is 'No, it'll blow up the amp.' Sorry.

I only went 2ohm as my valve head does 2 or 4(I believe you can run it at 8ohm on the 4setting but didn't want to risk it for a long period) I won't ever want a second 410 can could see no reason why I would so opted for 2ohm (coincidently they sent it configured to 8 to start with by mistake) lucky I hadn't run it at any volume before I realised.

Edited by Joebethell