Why become a member? ×

Skype versus face2face lessons?

spiltmilk_2000

So I'm thinking about getting some more lessons and am toying with the idea of Skype to open up more possibilities when choosing a teacher and to not be limited by geography. For those of you who have studied via Skype (or taught) I just wondered how you found not being physically in the same room? Was it still a worthwhile experience or would you say face to face is the only way?

I guess the next question is, if Skype is worth trying, who would your dream teacher be? I love the idea of potentially having access to all be best bass educators in the world and have a few ideas about people I'd try and get some time with but who would you choose and why???

Skype can work, but certain requirements need to be met to make it the sort of experience that I would be happy teaching. Due to the interactive software that I use to teach my students, Skype was a problem. In that respect, I found it limiting as I couldn't draw on a massive catalogue of material that I usually would face to face unless I had prepared a specific lesson that used it. Furthermore it was a problem if my student was at the end of a bad connection and trying to view my 'teaching space' on a small laptop screen. Not all students are IT literate and would rather not have to be instructed what to change on their screen so they can see the material correctly in lesson time.

Skype isn't really designed for that sort on interactive experience anyway and thus I personally would look for a 'online meeting platform' instead.

The online offerings that I have looked at briefly aren't really conducive to the way I teach anyway. I'm not a 'Mrs Miggins at the piano' sort of teacher and thus my 'hands on jamming' approach for example is difficult through a 13" portal that suffers from dire latency!

I can offer a different perspective.

I did a skype lesson with Antony Wellington awhile back. I found it very natural - but then i do have a 46" tv with cameras and skype :) It was just like being in the studio with him.

It helped that Antony really knows what he's doing and he has the skype lesson thing down to a T.

[quote name='spiltmilk_2000' timestamp='1466594439' post='3077037']
Wow! I bet a lesson with Anthony was an eye opener! What did you work on?
[/quote]

Not very much, my daughter (4 years old at the time) wanted my (our) attention so dominated the lesson with her recorder and ukelele playing. Ant has a very structured syllabus that he likes to work through if you are taking regular lessons - but we just worked on a couple of technique niggles that I had (probably a waste of a lesson, but my daughter was unstoppable). This was the reason I didn't pursue skype lessons, nothing to do with the technology - just works better for me when the kids arent around!

[quote name='sammybee' timestamp='1466536311' post='3076644']
I can offer a different perspective.

I did a skype lesson with Antony Wellington awhile back. I found it very natural - but then i do have a 46" tv with cameras and skype :) It was just like being in the studio with him.

It helped that Antony really knows what he's doing and he has the skype lesson thing down to a T.
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong in my response, it IS possible to do Skype, but it certainly has it's limitations no matter how good the teacher is. I'd still be able to deliver a great lesson using Skype, but I suppose I don't just 'teach bass', I offer way more music related services to all of my students.