Why become a member? ×

Flight cases

Kip Kersey

Hi Guys.

I recently bought a Hofner HCT Violin bass (contemporary series) and it came with a fitted case. I need to put the bass into the hold of an aeroplane. I've used other flight cases in the past which seem much more sturdy (for my Fender jazz bass, Guitars etc...) and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on whether or not the fitted Hofner case would be able to withstand heavy handed baggage handlers and all the rest of it? Unfortunately the bass is too wide for my usual flight cases.

Thanks.

[quote name='Kip Kersey' timestamp='1466533755' post='3076604']...I need to put the bass into the hold of an aeroplane...
[/quote]

Must it go in the hold..? There are companies that have a limited luggage area in the cabin for such items; worth asking if your's has this option..? The handling that any stuff in the hold gets is really a matter of chance, I'd say, and, although a Hofner case would be sufficient in normal circumstances, it won't withstand being run over by a tarmac tug or the like. It's a bit of a 'Dirty Harry' moment, really... "Are you feeling lucky..?"

At the moment the standard practice is that what is allowed into the cabin is entirely at the discretion of the check-in/cabin crew at the time of the flight. Anything that you may have been told in advance by the airline has absolutely no bearing on what might happen on the day at the check in.

If you look well-presented, are polite and your bass is in a gig bag there is a possibility that your bass may be allowed into one of the cabin lockers provided that they aren't already taken up by other things. You will also have an increased chance of getting your bass in the cabin if you are flying business class or better.

My advice is as always - don't risk it. Assume the bass will be going in the hold and get a proper flight case for it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

The only issue in getting a better flight case is the fact that it's such an unusual shape being a Violin Bass. I'll be honest the flight case doesn't look particularly sturdy, having said that i was assured buy the previous owner that the aesthetic damage to the case was caused by British Airways which obviously suggests it's been in the hold of an Airplane at least once. That said, I purchased it from Bob Geldof"s bass player just after said tour but hey I'm just a normal dude flying by a cheap airline.

Thanks again.

I actually bought a Hohner Violin bass about 5 years ago on a business trip in the US. 2 flights to get back to England (one small plane, one trans-Atlantic) and I was able to carry it on both flights. It was stored in the closet at the front of the plane without me even asking as I got on the flights.

[quote name='Kip Kersey' timestamp='1466623328' post='3077386']
Thanks for your thoughts.

The only issue in getting a better flight case is the fact that it's such an unusual shape being a Violin Bass. I'll be honest the flight case doesn't look particularly sturdy, having said that i was assured buy the previous owner that the aesthetic damage to the case was caused by British Airways which obviously suggests it's been in the hold of an Airplane at least once. That said, I purchased it from Bob Geldof"s bass player just after said tour but hey I'm just a normal dude flying by a cheap airline.

Thanks again.
[/quote]

The shape of the bass isn't an issue at all. Just get a proper rectangular shaped flight case and have the shape of the bass cut out of the foam lining.