Why become a member? ×

TC Electronics RS212/RH750 set up

Freddie75

Okay, I'm on the search for a new cab and and amp!

I'm going to be down sizeing from a barefaced big twin 2 Gen 3 which is overkill for most of what I do.

I play in a Funk/Dance/Soul band and we are about to invest in a new pa including bass bin, so I won't need quite as much on stage.

I'm looking at smaller 212s or a 2 x 112 set up.

At the moment I'm leaning towards a TC Electronics RS212 and an RH750 amp so wanted to gather some genuine opinions both good and bad on this setup or is there something else I should be looking at within my budget £1000/£1200.

Thanks for reading and appreciate your help/advice.

Freddie

Freddie, I have just sold my RH750 and 2 x RS212s. Replaced by a Glockenklang Blue Rock and BF BT 2. I was never total convinced of the sound through the TCE stuff. It was not wrong but I could never escape that slightly nasal sound when using my Roscoe Century, Jazz B or Stingray. No problem with my P bass and flats, whatsoever though. I am currently extremely happy with my new rig, although the guys that bought my TCE stuff were obviously happy with their purchases too.

If you wish to keep the sound you have, I do not believe the TCE will be for you (unless you can find that magic combination of buttons and knobs I could not), however, if you are prepared for a slightly different sound, I would find a set to try. In volume terms, there was no shortfall at all with the RH750 / RS212 combination. The shape of the RS212 is probably easier to shift around than the BF BT.

Try some out before buying, is all I can really say.

I've recently picked up a Blacksmith, I know these are supposed to be slightly different (sounding) from the RH series of amps, so I am not much help to you there, but the features on the TC amps are fantastic, especially the 3 presets.

If you're not going to replace your BF with another (I'd recommend an SC or a Two10) I'd look at the 2 Berg CN112's for £900 at Bass Direct. Fantastic tone and more volume than you need from these cabs with your current amp.

• 1 month later...

Personally I find the TC heads complete tone suckers. The RH450 in particular is possibly the worst amp I've ever had the misfortune to use live.

The 750 is an improvement but there are so many better made and, more importantly, more reliable heads out there.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='GregBass' timestamp='1466605459' post='3077178']
The RH750 is head and shoulders the best amp that I have used in almost 50 years of playing bass.
[/quote]
[quote name='molan' timestamp='1471811888' post='3116114']
Personally I find the TC heads complete tone suckers. The RH450 in particular is possibly the worst amp I've ever had the misfortune to use live.
[/quote]

The RH amps are a bit of a one-trick pony in that that have a heavily basked in ampeg style grit to the tone which your either going to love or hate (personally I love it since it replaced my previous separates rig with an amped svp pro, and as mentioned earlier the feature set is second to none).

Edited by bassman7755

I played through a Staccato and then upgraded to an RH750. I thought, and was told by a few people, that I sounded pretty good.

I also sat 5' away from Nathan East for an evening listening to his amazing playing and great sound through TC gear.

It's not for everyone, what is, but in the right hands TC sounds pretty good to me.

Very happy RH750 + RS cab user here. I have three cabs, which I mix and match to suit the gig - 2 RS212s and an RS210. The RH750 + 2 x RS212 is my favourite rig - pants-wettingly good, and mind-bendingly loud. Actually the RH750 can run all three cabs together at the same time, but I have not tried that yet - too scared!

I've tried other stuff but always come back to the RH750 - it sounds great, and works great for the stuff that I do. Currently saving up for a second one so I can have a go at running a stereo rig.

Hi Freddie

I play the same sort of thing as you do most weeks all year round and have done for the past 15 years or so.

Once I had an Ashdown ABM with a Hartke 4 x 10 cab and I thought that was great. Then I had a Markbass SA450 with the Hartke 4 X 10 and thought that was even better. Then I got a couple of Markbass cabs and was really happy. Then I discovered EBS and am really really happy (most of the time... room dependant).
I tried the TC stuff out but didn't find it as good as the EBS stuff and although this will upset a lot of folks I thought the Barefaced stuff wasn't all that at all. (sorry, really sorry, but that's how it was for me).

I wouldn't say the TC stuff was in any way rubbish but I do think there was a flavour of the month thing about it when it came out and I was very tempted.
IMO The 3-500 watt amp D class or solid state with a pair of 112 cabs is a winning combination playing this type of music. Question is ; Which brand is it that floats your boat? There is only one way to find out.......

Edited by bassjim

• 11 months later...

An alternative head worth thinking of would be the BH550 or BH800. I find it a pretty clean and modern sounding head, and I can get an Ampeg sound easily enough from my Zoom B3nwhen I need it. The toneprint feature is less gimmicky than you may think too! (The octave is particularly good, it tracks well all the way down!)

Also, I have two RS112 cabs. One is normally enough for what I'm doing, but I like two since brings the sound a bit closer to my ears!