Why become a member? ×

Matt Bissonette - Elton John's Bass Player.

bluesparky

I've spent the last few weeks working on the latest Elton John tour, which is something that I've done on and off over the last who-knows how many years or so.

Rather sadly Elton's previous bass player Bob Birch left us in 2012 and Matt Bissonette joined Elton's band to fill the vacancy.

I did do an Elton tour in 2013, but as I wasn't involved with the actual show I never saw Matt play, but this time around I do have things to do so I'm paying attention to the music and I'm so glad I am.

On the first show day a collegue of mine re-introduced us and he came across as a fantastically nice and funny chap and I duely gave him the respect he deserved - he clearly must be a player of some talent to have been asked to fill the vacancy.

One of the other chaps I was with also let it slip I had my travel bass in my tool box (along with my keyboard) so he was mega keen for me to get it out, have a look and talk bass for ages.

I quickly googled his name and noticed his brother was Greg Bissonette, whose name I recognised from a Victor Wooton / Steve Bailey instruction book / CD I had
Next I saw Mat had also toured with Dave Lee Roth, Ringo Starr, Joe Satriani etc.. Played with Steve Vai etc.. and also recorded the scene interlude music for friends (which was the fact that impressed the wife..).

Enough of the waffle, essentially, watching Matt play each night has been exactly the kick up the derriere that I needed, It's been a long while since I've seen a player who really has been outstanding in so many ways: holding back when he needs to, tasteful fills and runs, stepping up and really grooving when needing to, he really is an outstanding player of an incredibly high standard.

Highlights of the set for me that highligh his playing are "Burning Down The Mission", "Levon" and "Saturday Night" (when it breaks down and there's loads of freedom as it builds up again, live obviously).

I find it hard to sing and play at the same time, he's got an uncanny knack of being able to have a conversation and play at the same time, it's not unusual for him to wander over to the side of stage mid-gig and to chat to us lampies and say e.g. "so, what did you chaps get up to on your day off yesterday?"...

Anyway, that's enough of my gushing. I'm in awe, I'd never heard of him before this tour, but watching him play has made me want to pick up my bass whenever I can now, even more than normal. Which can only be a good thing..

Edited by bluesparky

Elton John has always had great bass players. Dee Murray was the reason I took up bass, and Kenny Passarelli the reason for playing fretless. I lost interest in EJ s music after 76 Blue Moves, but always looked out for who was playing bass with him. Matt sounds like a nice guy.

[quote name='oldslapper' timestamp='1466580329' post='3076860']
Elton John has always had great bass players. Dee Murray was the reason I took up bass,
[/quote]

Sad memories of him coming to town not long before he died. Nashville. At the time Bob Babbitt Willie Weeks and David Hungate had already relocated to Nashville, so for a while we had a bunch of great pop bass players there as well as the regular goodolboys.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1466553139' post='3076811']
Any bassist who can replace Billy Sheehan must be doing something right.
[/quote]

I saw him with Dave Lee Roth after Sheehan left. When it got to Billy's solo part in one of the songs he just stopped playing. :D

I've never met Matt but I've done two gigs with Gregg who is just the nicest guy ever. He really has time for everyone and really puts everyone at ease when you play with him. An incredible drummer and he refers to Matt as the musical one. You get the feeling their parents did a great job bringing them up to be good people.