Why become a member? ×

Has anybody used the Aux Input on the GK MB200?

hrnn1234

Hello everyone!

We are shooting a video clip with the band this weekend and we were thinking of using the bass amp with its aux input to play the track.

I looked at the owner's manual and the Aux In seems to be before the power stage, which makes sense, but still would like to have some kind of confirmation from any of you that it should work alright as I won't be getting near the thing until the weekend.

I'm hooking the amp to a 4 Ohm box, so I'm getting the 200 Watts out of it.

Thanks in advance!

I've not used the model you mention, but so long as whatever you plug into the aux-in (or an effects loop return) should work fine.

All you're doing is (as you say), bypassing the pre-stage of the unit; assuming you're feeding the amp from an iPod/phone headphone output, the only overriding factor is to make sure the input signal isn't super hot or the output may overdrive/distort as you're hitting the power stage with a signal that's got too much gain. At the same time you obviously need to ensure there's enough output to drive what's behind the aux input, just don't whack the iPod/phone up to 100% immediately. Start low, work up and control the overall volume with the gain/volume pot on the front of the amp. Easy.

I've done this, and it does work. Used the aux in to run a drum track whilst auditioning a keys player while the drummer was on holiday, and could play bass at the same time, which I'm not sure you'd be able to do if you plugged your audio in to the effect return.

EDIT: Err, I must be half asleep - you wouldn't be able to use the effect return anyway, as the MB200 doesn't have an effect loop!

Edited by Gottastopbuyinggear

[quote name='Gottastopbuyinggear' timestamp='1466594666' post='3077041']
I've done this, and it does work. Used the aux in to run a drum track whilst auditioning a keys player while the drummer was on holiday, and could play bass at the same time, which I'm not sure you'd be able to do if you plugged your audio in to the effect return.

EDIT: Err, I must be half asleep - you wouldn't be able to use the effect return anyway, as the MB200 doesn't have an effect loop!
[/quote]

hey! thanks for that.

what did you use to play the tracks? phone, laptop?