Why become a member? ×

Using two outputs from head vs daisy chaining cabs

Sibob

So.....I should know this, but I'm unsure.
Is there a difference between running two outputs to two speakers from your head, vs running one output from the head, then another from cab to cab?
Currently I use the latter (daisy chaining cabs from amp output), but I'm considering some new cabs that would mean outputting two cables from the amp, one to each cab.

Thanks
Si

It makes no difference at all Si. There will be some who say that separate cables is more secure because if one cab or a cable fails then the other will continue but how many times have you heard of it actually happening.

A single cable from the head will carry ALL the current to the cabs. If it were Speakons I wouldn't worry but with Jack sockets I would rather split the current between the two. As OBBM says, if you have a cable or cab fail open circuit, you'd still get some sound from the other one.

Just to +1 the point from MoonBaseAlpha re. all the current going through the one cable - I'm sure I read somewhere in a (fairly old) manufacturers handbook that using two cables was superior for the reasons given, but also because it puts less heat stress on all the components in the link between power amp and speakers i.e. not just the external cables and jacks.

My take is that if it doesn't cause you a problem, then using two cables seems worth it, but you shouldn't feel guilty if you don't...