Why become a member? ×

Yamaha SLB200

sumorabbit

Ok, so I'm looking at getting an EUB for an easy life and I've only managed to get hands on with a couple to try but the KK Baby bass and the STAGG both suffered the same comfort issue for me. They seem to want to roll around the body when using arm weight and I had to counter this with pressure from my thumb in the back of the neck. I couldn't get a good standing comfortable posture with these basses. I had a look at the BSX series but I haven't had change to try one. They seem to have an arm coming out the back to rest against the body. Can anybody with experience with these basses say if they suffer the same roll effect or not? There is also limited audio/video of these basses being played so I'm still not entirely sure what they sound like.

Ultimately the closest bass I've come across on't t'interweb that looks like it would be suitable and comfortable due to the upper bout and optional knee rest is the SLB200 but I can't find any shops with one actually in stock to try that doesn't involve a trek halfway across the UK. I've searched forums but people mostly focus on the sound and less so on the playability. Does anybody have experience with the SLB200 that could share some light on the comfort and playability? Cheers

Paul

Ahh yes, you will be the chap with the 5 string blue BSX. I did watch your video a few times, it's where I saw the arm out the back and imagined it would be hard to get the neck to your shoulder for thumb position with the arm there?

I think the rolling problem will be the kicker for me though, I have a knackered, tired and weak wrist that can't support a rolling bass with my thumb.

Ta

Paul

[quote name='sumorabbit' timestamp='1466602603' post='3077153']
Ahh yes, you will be the chap with the 5 string blue BSX. I did watch your video a few times, it's where I saw the arm out the back and imagined it would be hard to get the neck to your shoulder for thumb position with the arm there?

I think the rolling problem will be the kicker for me though, I have a knackered, tired and weak wrist that can't support a rolling bass with my thumb.

Ta

Paul
[/quote]

Yep, that's me, and yes, I'd agree it's not the easiest for thumb position.

I love my SLB200 and only have the upper bout.It is very comfortable and doesn't move.I play standing in a jazz standards combo and I move around a lot when I play and the SLB200 stays with me.I play pizz but have used the bow a bit and I think my poor arco technique is the problem,not the bass.Getting the instrument at exactly the right height is important to keep it in place,I experimented with different heights and when I found the perfect position I put a small hose clamp on the peg so it was always in the right place.Some people use a marker to put a line on it but the clamp is hardly visible and takes the weight of the instrument while the screw just holds it in place.Good luck.

I'm a novice on upright but have an old beater acoustic DB and an SLB200. The SLB only has the skeletal upper bout but it balances against the body just like the acoustic. I agree with Staggering on (me too!) about experimenting with different heights. I also use a hose clamp on the endpin. Good trick that as the endpin wingnut has a tendency to shear on these (I replaced mine with a machine bolt) so the hose clamp takes all the weight. One issue I did find was the upper bout/frame is very smooth and tended to slip on my shirt (or whatever) so I attached a strip of self adhesive neoprene rubber along the edge. Which solved that problem. I've tried A BSX, Eminence and various stick EUBs and IMO the SLB200 is ergonomically the closest to an acoustic upright of all these.

The SLB100 is by far the best for balance due to the full length body and weight at the bottom end, the 200 is top heavy and does tend to spin if you don't get the adjustment right.
The SLB200 has a thinner neck and slightly shorter string length.
The Mo Clifton is somewhere in between the two for balance and playability.
If you're anywhere near Harrogate you're welcome to compare my current trio, SLB 100, Mo Clifton & Eminence

Thank you all for the insight. I was swayed heavily towards the SLB200, but Mr Bassman just threw a curveball in there with the Mo Clifton.

I just searched around and found a demo of one, well impressed.

Thank you for the kind offer Mr Bassman, I'm about an 1:45 drive away from Harrogate but I may take you up on your offer at some point in the future thank you very much.

I solved the slippery upper bout issue on my SLB200 with a thin silicone pad (3.5x5 inches) that adheres with no glue and is easy to remove and leaves no marks.The one I use is sold as a device to keep phones on the dash of your car among other things.Cheap and easy.The top is a bit sticky at first but is harmless to clothing and after some use is soft and still provides lots of grip on your body.Once you get the pad in the right place it just stays there,mine has been in place for about a year.

I have those pads on my car dash, that's a great idea.

I've been lent a NS Design NTX4 to try for a couple of days, so far I'm not really digging it. The strings are really not very good though and this is probably the larger part of it, I wonder if anyone has ever string one with guts before. I'm more into thumping jazz bass as opposed to super long sustained thin notes.

Re silicone pad:
I'm in Canada and I'm sorry to admit I can't remember where I bought the pad.I have seen them in auto supply stores and discount stores but other than that I can't help you.Perhaps sumorabbit who posted above can give you some ideas about about a source in England.Good luck.

...a few minutes later...
I just Googled "silicone sticky pads" and found lots of products there,might be worth a look.

Edited by Staggering on

Thanks, I found some on ebay here - [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Silicone-Non-Slip-Car-Dashboard-Pad-Sticky-Mat-Phone-Pen-Eyeglasses-Holder-/262495316187"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Silicone-Non-Slip-Car-Dashboard-Pad-Sticky-Mat-Phone-Pen-Eyeglasses-Holder-/262495316187[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, in my experience, the Yamaha is the closest feeling to a double bass apart from Mo's brilliant invention.
I have an Eminence for sale which, I believe, is the closest sound-wise. It feels slightly more vertical than a real upright but the lack of knee contact is not a problem as the bar on the bottom of the end pin prevents any rotation. You get used to it quickly and it feels like a real acoustic instrument with proper (if slightly light) attack, worlds away from anything with a solid body.
Contact me if you are interested. I will be posting an advert shortly. I am in Bedfordshire.