Why become a member? ×

Fitted Side Handles to my Ashdown Toneman 300

SpondonBassed

I bought my Toneman a couple of months ago and found it a bit difficult moving it about when loading it in and out of my mate's car. It only had a top handle and being a strap, it doesn't give you much control when you are carrying the cab about. I suppose that's the drawback with a 15, you have a bigger magnet to lug around.

No matter. I emailed the nice chappies at Ashdown and asked if they could advise me on how to go about fitting side handles. A couple of days later, I got a nice reply asking for postal details so they could send me a drawing. I rang and spoke to a bloke who told me that they'd never had a request for this before but that he would post me some handles and the template drawings for cutting the cab.

How much do I owe you, I asked. "Nowt!" was the stout reply. Ta very much I said and complimented the company on their amps because I like them. A couple of days later the package arrived.

[attachment=222034:HandleMod1.png]
[b][i]Three templates and two handles were supplied.[/i][/b]

[attachment=222035:HandleMod2.png]
[b][i]Drilled the corners of each hole with a 10mm auger bit then cut the hole edges with a jigsaw.[/i][/b]

[attachment=222036:HandleMod3.png]
[b][i]Rounded the edges with a sander to get a snug fit with the radiused flange of the handle.[/i][/b]

[attachment=222037:HandleMod4.png]
[b][i]Had to buy the fasteners myself. Less than a tenner. I got black dome headed allen bolts, large washers, nuts and a bottle of thread lock. I got two lengths of bolt to cater for where internal bracing made it necessary to fit longer ones. I bought more than I needed to make sure I wouldn't get left short by dud bolts or nuts.[/i][/b]

[attachment=222038:HandleMod5.png]
[i][b]Drilled two holes then secured with two fasteners to hold the handle while the other holes were drilled with a 5mm auger bit.[/b][/i]

[attachment=222039:HandleMod6.png]
[b][i]I used the thread lock on each bolt shank to ensure no movement of my nuts during loud passages. Replaced the driver and gloated.[/i][/b]

[attachment=222040:HandleMod7.png]
[i][b]Very happy with the result[/b][/i][i][b]. Even our cat thinks it's cool. I can get a proper grip for lifting now, much better for me ould back.[/b][/i]

There you go. How's that for woodshedding?

[size=5][i][b]Edit: Thanks to Ashdown Engineering for being receptive and providing the kit. Cheers guys.[/b][/i][/size]

Edited by SpondonBassed