Why become a member? ×

Hi Mass Bridges

Thunderbird

Hi all I always thought that Hi Mass bridges were a load of nonsense after trying a few such as Badass 2, Gotoh and some generic models on different basses in the past and not really noticing any real difference but here is were I find it interesting I have switched to short scale basses and I thought I would tart one of them up a bit so I bought a Gotoh 201B bridge from this very forum and stuck it on the bass and I find that the bass has much more clarity and sustain than it did before which surprised me as I had never noticed any difference on a long scale bass anyone else noticed this? or could it be a placebo effect?

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1466624938' post='3077410']
It might just be a better bridge due to its quality rather than the mass?
[/quote]

Agreed; I would think it's about how well the bridge supports the strings... the original bridge might have been a poor performer in terms of stability - to my mind you want to keep as much energy in a string for it to continue vibrating (sustain) and saddle construction probably influences this as much as anything else with regard to bridge design (including its mass).

I`ve always thought that I could tell a difference when changing a bridge to the hi-mass type, where they have grooves for the saddle-screws to sit in. There seems to be a more focused low-end, and a tighter top end. It must be something to do with the contact of the sadlles on the base-plate I`d reckon. Would I hear it in the mix, no, but on the basses I`ve done this on I`m sure I could notice a difference. And in all honesty, I`ve noticed it more the other way, when removing the hi-mass bridge and returning to the BBOT, suddenly the foused lows and tighter highs have become less apparent.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1466633095' post='3077519']
I`ve always thought that I could tell a difference when changing a bridge to the hi-mass type, where they have grooves for the saddle-screws to sit in. There seems to be a more focused low-end, and a tighter top end. It must be something to do with the contact of the sadlles on the base-plate I`d reckon. Would I hear it in the mix, no, but on the basses I`ve done this on I`m sure I could notice a difference. And in all honesty, I`ve noticed it more the other way, when removing the hi-mass bridge and returning to the BBOT, suddenly the foused lows and tighter highs have become less apparent.
[/quote]

I don't know what happened to what I typed before but I meant to say I agree with Lozz here.

Edited by eddiehoffmann

I've put a hi-mass on a shorty and it was a vast improvement, mostly because the BBoT-type saddles wandered around a bit under the low tension strings. No change on a 34" sound-wise, but found a big difference for edge-of-hand comfort while pick playing.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1466663264' post='3077603']
Bent Bit of Tim.

I never noticed a difference in sound or sustain when I changed from a high mass to a bbot.
[/quote]Bent Bit Of Ti[b]m [/b]

Bent Bit Of Tim is quite a disturbing image :)

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1466676453' post='3077771']
Bent Bit Of Ti[b]m [/b]

Bent Bit Of Tim is quite a disturbing image :)
[/quote]
Indeed. They're pretty brutal! :lol:

I was going to correct it before I hit post, but then I remembered good ol'e TIM & decided to leave it.

Ive got a Gotoh 201 on all my 4 string basses. They might not make much difference to the tone (and they might) but they do make my basses just a bit nicer in some way.
Never really liked the BA2 bridge. I definitely noticed an increase in high's with that (ive had 2) bridge.

I rebuilt a BB300 with some Gotoh hardware including a 201. I know, hardware more expensive than the donor bass. But the sustain is bonkers. I swear I plucked a string one night in passing and it was still humming the next day! Maybe .... :)

Edited by DuncanF

TBH I've never been able to tell to any great degree if there's a massive difference with a high mass bridge, but if you want to hear what a bass SHOULD sound like, change your bbot for a Wilkinson item with brass saddles for around 12 squid. I've transformed a Precision and a Squier P/J and all the rich warm tones are suddenly there in abundance.

[quote name='LITTLEWING' timestamp='1466709954' post='3078126']
TBH I've never been able to tell to any great degree if there's a massive difference with a high mass bridge, but if you want to hear what a bass SHOULD sound like, change your bbot for a Wilkinson item with brass saddles for around 12 squid. I've transformed a Precision and a Squier P/J and all the rich warm tones are suddenly there in abundance.
[/quote] Agreed Wilkinson bridges are good :)

But I think that there must be some kind of black magic involved with Hi Mass bridges and short scale basses the improvement is vast I am so impressed I just ordered another 201 for my other shorty lol

The differences in tone of a floating bridge guitar when changing from a cast trem block to a solid brass one is immense. I feel the same must be achievable going from a skinny bit of tin to a substantial well made bridge. Certainly in my own upgrades, a high quality, high mass bridge does improve the girth of the tone, but there are 'high mass' bridges on eBay that only, to my mind, offer a visual difference. Probably owing to what they are made of.

A couple of years ago I had a CIJ Geddy Lee and MIM standard Jazz bass. I tried swapping the bridges (Badass II on the Geddy, BBOT on the MIM), and the necks over.

To my ears, there was no noticeable difference in tone, volume, sustain or anything else (although the Geddy looked really smart with the rosewood fingerboard!).

Edited by Conan

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1466764075' post='3078523']
girth of the tone
[/quote]

Oh no ... were going to have to have a discussion about whether class D amps lack girth as well as heft now.

What you are looking for is a good 'connect' throughout the bass...and a good bridge can play its part.
I'm looking for a Fender 5 st retro fit as the main problem is the current incumbent is not top loadable
so I'll be looking at a Hipshot...which looks all rpund a more substantial bridge as well.