Why become a member? ×

BF Super Compact vs Nemesis 4 x 10

King Tut

I've been humming and hawing about buying a BF Super Compact to downsize from my Eden nemesis 4 x 10. The BF website favourably compares a super compact with the sound you can get from a 4 x 10 but I'm quite sceptical to be honest. I've read good reviews about the BF stuff and was about to pull the trigger when I was put off by some comments from a staff member at a well respected bass shop.

I've not been able to get through to BF to chat about it and they've not rung me back despite me leaving a message. Having said that I'm sure they're pretty damn busy the way the company has taken off.

So - is there anyone out there who's bought a super compact and been disappointed and moved it on? Is there anyone out there who's replaced a 4 x 10 with a super compact and been happy with the change.

For info I play general rock n pop covers through Jazz basses mainly into a GK MB500 or old Trace heads.

Any thoughts or info muchly appreciated.

I used to have a Nemesis 410 and went to a regular Gen 2 Compact, Col, and have to say it wasn`t what I was expecting. Same amount of volume, perhaps a bit less - those Nemesis 410s are pretty loud - but the sound was a whole lot smoother, and much less sharp. To me it was like someone had just turned the treble down on my amp. Almost like going from JJ Burnell to James Jamerson really. I contacted BF and the recommendation was to add in a Gen 2 Midget. Now at that point I had everything back that was there before, and more besides. The pair were also a lot easier to cart about.

But from what I`ve heard of them at various bashes, the Gen 3 BF range are very nice, I was particularly impresses with the Super Midget, that seemed to have a real depth to the sound but no lack of highs & mids.

I should also add, I`m a BF fanboi, currently using the Super12s, so not knocking the brand at all, I just didn`t get a like-for-like in my expericence with the Gen 2 Compact/Nemesis change.

I've recently downsized from a pair of 2x10" Mark Bass cabs to one Barefaced Big Baby. I loved the MB's but the Barefaced is just great in every way for me, it produces the sound that I want at the volume I need and the load in/out is a breeze.

What kind of comments put you off? Maybe we can straighten things out for you.

Also I'd send Alex an email. I would imagine you're much more likely to get an in depth answer to a question in an email.

I replaced Bergantino 212 and 112 cabs with 2 Super Compacts. I started with 1 and liked it so much I went out and bought another. Now I run 1 or 2 depending on the gig.

For me there are no downsides to Alex's cabs. I use a Thunderfunk 750, Aguilar TH500 and recently a Mesa Boogie D800. These amps all sound better than ever through my BF cabs.

Ok, from what I remember . . . . Quotes like 'you can't beat the laws of Physics', 'we get a lot of those cabs in as people!e want to trade them in', 'tney don't feel very substantial and that's reflected in the sound'. Now these comments go against all! I've read about the cabs, and they were made by someone who would have a vested interest in selling me stock from the shop so I'm not going to take them at face value without some investigation. . . . . Hence the thread here.

Guest bassman7755

Your going from a cab with a tweeter to one without so there will be some loss of the top end, probably similar to dialling the tweeter completely off (dont' know if the nemesis have a tweeter control).

Yes there will be some laws of physics at play and the compact will be less efficient due to its smaller cone area but will still be loud enough for almost anything if you have decently powerful amp. It will also have much better dispersion than the eden as 4 x 10s are very directional.

BF cabs do not it any way lack "substance" in the sound though simply because they are lightweight construction.

At the end of the day your going to have to try it out and they do have a 30 day return policy.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1466658415' post='3077588']
Just don't expect one 12 inch speaker to be able to do what four 10 inch speakers can do.
[/quote]

Thats true, but the BF drivers are very high excursion drivers and IME a 4 x 10 rarely gets fully utilised. Theres a lot of variables at play.

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1466658415' post='3077588']
Just don't expect one 12 inch speaker to be able to do what four 10 inch speakers can do.
[/quote]

I've not been disappointed going from four ten inch speakers to the 1x12 and horn. It is truly very impressive. :)

[quote name='King Tut' timestamp='1466657291' post='3077585']
Ok, from what I remember . . . . Quotes like 'you can't beat the laws of Physics',
[/quote]

Physics has lots of laws. Sound reproduction has a lot of variables. In my experience, a single BF cab can be as loud (if not louder) than a decent* 4x10 and usually with a better sound and dispersion. It's also about that personal version of compromise. BF cabs are extremely light. Some people equate weight with quality.

Try one first before judging (or allowing yourself to be influenced by the judgement of others - including me!). :)

* "Decent" meaning stuff like Trace Elliot, Ampeg, Ashdown, Eden, SWR, Markbass and such. Top brands like Aguilar, Vanderkley, TKS and Bergantino generally bring something else to the table...

Edited by Conan

I used to have 2 BF compacts (Gen 2 i think) and they were quite loud, but I couldn't seem to get a 'smooth' sound from them....I've had a pair of Nemesis 2x10s and they were nice cabs, quite light.

I went to 1 compact, and missed the oomph, so I went to a MB 104HF, which got nice compliments.

I currently have a nemesis 410, which unfortunately haven't been able to test as I've only just got an amp for it (its in boot of my car as we speak!).

Whichever you choose, you won't be disappointed :)

I have a Trace Elliot head and use either 1 or 2 Supercompacts and can't imagine being any happier with my sound. I recently did a back line share at a gig where there was a Trace Elliot 300W 4x10 combo with a 4 x 10 extension cab. Been a long while since I had to reach up to adjust the amp! The head was the same as mine so I could dial in my usual button positions. I'd pick the Supercompacts over the Trace cabs any day of the week, no contest really. Just as punchy, much more clarity, more bottom end.

Be careful of people offering insight into anything other than the Gen 3 Super Compact (or other Gen 3 products) here. Previous gen Compacts used a standard Eminence 15" driver vs the new custom Eminence 12" in the SC etc, and they had a slightly different design goal in mind. Hence to compare an experience with a Gen 2 Compact and equate it to a Gen 3 Super Compact will not be at all helpful :)

Edited by Merton

[quote name='King Tut' timestamp='1466680963' post='3077824']
Thanks for all your comments folks. I've changed the goal posts a bit and pulled the trigger on a big baby 2 :-)
[/quote]

Good choice.

I have a BB2 and a Super Midget, my thinking being use the BB2 all gigs except where space is tight when the SM will be used. Use both for bigger rooms.

I've used both only once and found the BB2 or the SM to be enough for all my gigs. I prefer the depth of the BB2 but the SM is as good as it gets for small venues.

Enjoy your new toy.

Frank.

Oh good, another one of these threads!

Opinion is split, I know a few who daren't say anything negative due to the way any negativity against these cabs always gets jumped on, and somehow the attackers make it seem BF is being picked on!!

I would take them up on their trial. Take it, see if it can truly keep up with a 4x10 in a live environment, crucially in tone and the balance of the output (as opposed to simply volume as this is what I see most of the complaints are about) and if it doesn't, give it back :) Win win really!

Off we go again (!) - I've a couple of Dubsters (gen1, 2x15) - for their size and weight they do what I require fairly well.
They do not have the same 'heft' as a couple of 18s in heavy thick ply cabs, but I didn't expect them to.
I'd do the try-out offer & see what you think - also, you might like to email Alex & get a conversation going -
he's intelligent, easy to talk to and has the knack of getting to the nub of this stuff........

:)