Why become a member? ×

Weather affecting tone?

Grangur

Hi there fellow Low-enders,

The other day I got out a bass that's relatively new to me, plugged it in and the sound was not good. That bad it almost sounded like a Musicman!!! :o :P

It sounded really zingy and clanky. Not good at all. On that day the weather was very wet. The rain was falling in sheets.

A day later, better weather and the bass was back to sounding deep and gravelly, just how I like it. Is it just me, my ears, or do others find this too? This isn't the first time and it's not only this one bass either.

Sound transmission through air is affected by temperature and humidity (basically how dense the transmitting medium is) but I don't know if the short distance from ear to speaker cone (or ear to vibrating string/instrument body) is enough for this to have much effect on tone... there are quite a number of discussions about this particular topic if you search online.

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1466627028' post='3077430']
Hmmmmm have had hot weather play havoc with the tuning on my jazz bass but with regards tone I don't have this problem with any of my basses. Did anything else change, like had you cleaned the strings in between playing etc?
[/quote]
Fair point, but no, I'd not cleaned the strings on either occasion.

Just been playing with it just now.... there's a possibility it could be my being a klutz with my new compressor. Sorry!!

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1466627901' post='3077448']
My bass sounded like poo tonight. I just assumed it was me having an off day, but this does happen on occasion. Never considered the weather.
[/quote]
... or me having an off day too.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1466626246' post='3077422']
Hi there fellow Low-enders,

The other day I got out a bass that's relatively new to me, plugged it in and the sound was not good. That bad it almost sounded like a Musicman!!! :o :P
[/quote]

🤔 Outrageous!! A good Stingray sound should be everyone's holy grail - none of this thin sounding passive nonsense 😉 😎

Back to the weather, I would have thought that air pressure might make a difference to the amount of air speakers could move - low pressure (wet weather) the speakers would have less resistance than in high pressure (fine weather) - whether it would be enough to make an audible difference...... who knows but I'm sure someone will tell us!!

Germanium transistors are affected by changes in temperature. Is it just me that relies on them for tone?

Also, I played the 'other' guitar for 2 hours tonight - sounded great to me, but that was through an amp sim pedal into headphones; none of this 'moving air molecules' nonsense for me! ;)

I think [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]temperature and humidity effects tone a lot.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I also think there is a probably an optimum best temperature and conditions for good bass tone when playing live (room/stage dependant of course). Its definitely in the summer when the suns out, blue skies and somewhere between 23-30 degrees. [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I think in these conditions your hands work better than say when its freezing or warm and muggy which also makes a difference. IMO[/font][/color]

If you cant hear or feel any difference then good for you but I certainly feel and hear it.

I can say for sure that the weather affects my tone, a lot!!! When it's cold and humid my back, knees, elbows and fingers ache a lot and that affects my playing technique thus affecting the tone... :ph34r:

Appart from that i never noticed a bass changing its voice depending on the weather. ;)

Dunno about tone but I found that 6 of my guitars had gone sharp over the last fortnight and the strings were buzzing like mad. Checked the relief and found they'd all flattened out a touch.

Quick jig of the truss rod and they're fine again. The weather / change in humidity? Maybe.

I used to have a resident situation with my sound system - picture a sub-basement (concrete) damp earth et al - we would set the operating tone(s) about 7pm. On a busy night the humidity would change (as well as the audience mass absorbing the levels) & I would vary the amp settings accordingly, otherwise the lot could sound awful.

:)