Why become a member? ×

Maple and Rosewood 3eq Stingrays sound very different!

Umskii

[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Hello everyone! [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Hows everyone this fine day![/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]I have a beautiful 2 beautiful Musician Stingray 3 eq's [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]One with a maple neck & one with rosewood neck, [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]the exact same spec 3eq, single H, same year also (2015)[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Funnily enough having played both, both set at the same eq, fresh batteries......they sound very different from each other! [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]i was always skeptical of the sound differences between rosewood and maple but this has changed my opinion [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]My observations:[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]The Maple neck 3eq stingray has a lot of natural high end attack (leaving out fret buzz or stingray clank) but natural bite to its sound, less emphasis on having a rounded fuller tone, less mids, its definitely got bass and treble, call it naturally scooped [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]The Rosewood neck 3eq stingray is much more mellow, like seriously more mellow, its warmer, buttery and laid back even when eq'ed the same, its got that stingray clank but its missing a lot of bite and attack. reminds of a Warwick bass with a wenge neck.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]crazy eh! I'm shocked, lol cannot get them to sound the same, using a pick or slap or fingers. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]The 3 eq rosewood Stingray bass almost sounds like a classic 2eq Maple Stingray being more mellow and fuller.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Whats your take on this [/size][/font][/color]

I hear you, I find that maple suits my right hand finger style much better than rosewood as my tone is naturally bass heavy. This is more so on Fender and Music Man's, probably noticeable because I know their tones so well. Though I do very much like a warm rosewood bass, I don't own one anymore and very much doubt I ever wil again. My basses are 3 x maple and 1 x graphite.

Years ago when working in guitar shops we used to swap maple and rosewood necks on a bass to test the theory, we noticed the difference, though be prepared for some others here to disagree. Some say it's all in our heads, they may even be right, but I hope not.

Edited by Chiliwailer

Without a doubt there's a difference, but your playing style, and how you listen to your bass will determine whether that actually matters to you or not. To me it makes a bigger difference than pickups, but I play straight into an audio interface with no amp or fx. I took part in a long and very idiotic thread over on talkbass all about this, it's amazing how many people think this is some mythical mumbo jumbo..