Why become a member? ×

Hipshot d-tuner

bigjimmyc

Hi all.
I'm considering adding a Hipshot d-tuner to my Tobias Toby Pro 4. Anyone have good/bad/indifferent experiences with this stuff?

The exact model I need is the GB7 treble version, in black. I'm a lefty so as usual these are like gold-plated rocking-horse sh!t.

Why do you want it they ask? We're playing a little number called Slither (Velvet Revolver) in our set. I currently tune the whole bass down to D, but it's a bit floppy and buzzy. Secondly, due to the tuning I only use this bass for one song which is a shame (it's my only 4-string) - I'd like to use it for Hysteria too.

Checking out Duff's technique on Youtube, he practically stays on the bottom string throughout, and I could change to that method too. With this gizmo on board I can get my tension back, get my 4-string back, and maybe change guitars less in the set.

So, who want to set me straight on the hipshot?
Cheers
Jim

I wanted to go back from a 5 to a 4 so got one with the double stop lever and detune the E to D and B.

Once you get them set up they're pretty much set and forget. You just need to remember to tune them as per the video on the website.

I use Chromes and have a 110 for an E string

it took me about 45 minutes to set both lower tunings but that's it set now

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1466777956' post='3078744']
I wanted to go back from a 5 to a 4 so got one with the double stop lever and detune the E to D and B.

Once you get them set up they're pretty much set and forget. You just need to remember to tune them as per the video on the website.

[/quote]

That's pretty cool. So a solid recommendation then?

I fitted one of these to my Fender Jazz recently, as I'm doing a few tunes that use drop D. Overall I'm pretty pleased with it. Installation is easy, setting up and getting the tuning adjustment spot on took a while but now it's completely solid. The only downside for me was that I can't use my wall hanger as the detuning lever gets in the way.

I did a gig on the weekend using a different bass and certainly missed it.

Mine's also a left handed one; make sure you order the right model. I got it from Bass Direct, and it took about a month as it had to be ordered specially.

Look around on ebay - I found mine cheaper via a small US seller including shipping and charges than anything in the UK. There's a couple of tricks that may or may not work, e.g. increasing tension with your right hand on the string as you change from D to E (idea being to compensate tension differences across string), and tuning at D/E intervals.

However it won't completely solve string slackness - lowest string will still slacken... sounds OK with fresh strings, but as strings become deader, difference from D to E becomes more pronounced IMO.

Still, I love mine....

• 3 weeks later...

4 out of 5 of my 4 string basses have them fitted as I wouldn't want to gig without one available.

I don't use them as much as I used to but in a previous orignals band I had a few songs where I changed to drop d and back a couple of times mid song.

I've bought a couple from the states via eBay but the last one I bought was from a guy in Spain, again via eBay, and they've always worked out significantly cheaper than they can be bought for in the UK.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1466777956' post='3078744']

[/quote]

You use a 110 for low B? Be interested to hear it!

Basically, my opinion of these is that if you need to drop mid song, then they are invaluable. Any other use, its just as easy to quickly tune down, you'll learn to do it by ear and muscle memory quickly, I can easily just give my tuning key a quick turn without thinking about it and hit D on the nose.

I do have one fitted to one of my basses, I hardly ever use it. But they are very good at doing what they do, no complaints!

I fitted one to use just for Uptown Funk, but have also used it on a show tunes medley that required low Eb and D, which involved flipping the lever mid-song - works a treat. My top tips:

- Do the tuning thing at the start of your gig.
- Don't tweak your tuning mid-gig without also re-setting the D-tuner.
- Lube your E nut slot with some Lipsyl or similar.

[quote name='bigjimmyc' timestamp='1466669493' post='3077659']
Hi all.
I'm considering adding a Hipshot d-tuner to my Tobias Toby Pro 4. Anyone have good/bad/indifferent experiences with this stuff?

The exact model I need is the GB7 treble version, in black. I'm a lefty so as usual these are like gold-plated rocking-horse sh!t.

Why do you want it they ask? We're playing a little number called Slither (Velvet Revolver) in our set. I currently tune the whole bass down to D, but it's a bit floppy and buzzy. Secondly, due to the tuning I only use this bass for one song which is a shame (it's my only 4-string) - I'd like to use it for Hysteria too.

Checking out Duff's technique on Youtube, he practically stays on the bottom string throughout, and I could change to that method too. With this gizmo on board I can get my tension back, get my 4-string back, and maybe change guitars less in the set.

So, who want to set me straight on the hipshot?
Cheers
Jim
[/quote]

I have several of my basses with the Hipshot. Originally because being in RHCP and RATM covers bands, I kept tuning and retuning between standard and drop-D. It doesn't take long to do it manually, and with practice it's really easy and pretty accurate without even checking with a tuner... but the Hipshot makes it reliable 100% and it's just so easy. Do it!
If you even have difficulty with holding the tuning, just put a tiny bit of grease on the mechanism and it'll work beautifully.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1469050556' post='3095462']
I have several of my basses with the Hipshot. Originally because being in RHCP and RATM covers bands, I kept tuning and retuning between standard and drop-D. It doesn't take long to do it manually, and with practice it's really easy and pretty accurate without even checking with a tuner... but the Hipshot makes it reliable 100% and it's just so easy. Do it!
If you even have difficulty with holding the tuning, just put a tiny bit of grease on the mechanism and it'll work beautifully.
[/quote]Thanks old chap. I've not pulled the trigger yet because I'm toying with a new main instrument.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1468762641' post='3093144']

Basically, my opinion of these is that if you need to drop mid song, then they are invaluable. Any other use, its just as easy to quickly tune down, you'll learn to do it by ear and muscle memory quickly, I can easily just give my tuning key a quick turn without thinking about it and hit D on the nose.

I do have one fitted to one of my basses, I hardly ever use it. But they are very good at doing what they do, no complaints!
[/quote]

Chromes are surprisingly good at drop tuning. I had a set of 95-40s on my G&L which I fitted a d-tuner with the extender lever to, could go from E down to D, then down to B without a sweat. Really surprising if I'm honest! I'm now switched back to using TI Flats on the bass otherwise i'd record some sounds.

But back to the notion of getting a D tuner, whilst I've not used it excessively on my 4 string, its had its uses, enough so that i'm in no hurry to take it off!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1468762641' post='3093144']

[/quote]

I drop to the B for Uptown Funk and Get Lucky. It still sounds and feels pretty good but if you overcook things you can push the string off the edge of the fretboard when fretting a note due to the drop in tension.

A standard 130 roundwound D'addario string tuned to B has a tension of 34.5lbs whereas a 110 Chrome string tuned to B is 29lbs so it's not as big a difference as you would think.

I don't use mine much either but I was finding my Stingray 5 to be a tad heavy so I went through the band set list and worked out what I needed a 5 for & what I could modify my playing for to see if I could use a 4 instead. Turns out it wasn't as bad as I thought so sold the Stingray and bought a Sterling instead. Much lighter. I had used drop D for years but I had to learn how to use drop B which was interesting :lol:

Edited by Delberthot

We fitted one to FuNkShUi's single cut camphor bass (ref Build Diaries). As a builder, I was very, very impressed - very easy to fit and very sure and efficient mechanism.

Kert (FuNkShUi) has now gigged it extensively - views in terms of road tested performance, Kert?