Why become a member? ×

1x12 Cab Advice

Light Grenade

I'm looking to switch up my cab setup into something a bit more portable, and after doing some reading, I think i'm going to go for 12" speakers, a pair ideally. Basically, due to the amount of brands out there, and where I live, it's pretty tough to 'try before I buy' as every retailer round about where I live seems to purely sell Ashdown.

I'm after some portable cabs that have great lows and a rich mid range, I'm not wanting something with that hi-fi, scooped mid sound. I've had my eye on a few different cabs such as the Eden EX-112, Fender Rumble V3 & GK Neo range, but I have no idea what they sound like, and I never trust YouTube demos. I've also had a look the the Orange Isobaric cabs, and played through an SP212 a year or so ago, I was sure I really liked it at the time, but nearly every forum I've read has dragged it's name through the mud (pardon the pun), so that's made me re-think my interest. Major volume isn't a huge issue, as I go through the PA at nearly every gig I play.

My budget is approximately £600/£700 and I play a Lakland Skyline 44-01, Mark Bass Big Bang & D'Addario Chrome flats, any help or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Edited by Light Grenade

[quote name='Light Grenade' timestamp='1466707186' post='3078094']
These look lovely, going to investigate a little further.
[/quote]

I would.. S112 is a really well thought and well built cab.

They are little tone monsters, IMO... and the guy building them really knows what he
wants from a cab.

I think the other cabs in the range are good too... but the S112 is a little jewel, IMO.

You might do well to look at the Eich 115XS cabs. Not that much bigger or heavier than a typical lightweight 12 and lighter than most others. Has a hi-freq driver rather than a tweeter and that just makes it sound amazing. There were 2 used Tecamp versions (previous generation) in the classifieds recently....

http://www.eich-amps.com/cms/content/115xs

Here's mine:

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1466679916' post='3077811']
A pair of TKS Engineering S112's is a beautiful thing. Lovely tidy lows, natural mids and highs. Check 'em out.
[/quote]

I'd also recommend TKS - bought an S112 to pair with an Aguilar DB112 at gigs and just end up taking the TKS all the time. Wonderful sound from a surprisingly light cab. Lots of permutations available too.

I'm really liking the look of the TKS cabs, especially at their price point.

I've got a chance of purchasing a pair condition Eden EX-112's for £250 which is pretty ridiculous, so I'm going to give these a test blast and see how they fair. All reviews I've found seem to pretty favourable.

[quote name='Light Grenade' timestamp='1467038211' post='3080662']
I'm really liking the look of the TKS cabs, especially at their price point.
[/quote]

The basic price of the S112 is hard to beat, but things do start adding up once you get into tweeters and colour options... Having said that, mine was still less than the price of a new Aguilar cab.

For anyone that's interested, I ended up going with a pair of Eden EX-112s. Pretty blown away by these cabs to be honest, really loud, warm and punchy. I was skeptical about how they would handle the low notes and drop tunings, but everything stays tight and focused without losing any beef. Much better than the 1x15 Hartke I was using, and way more portable.

Edited by Light Grenade

[quote name='Light Grenade' timestamp='1466676317' post='3077764']
I'm looking to switch up my cab setup into something a bit more portable, and after doing some reading, I think i'm going to go for 12" speakers, a pair ideally. Basically, due to the amount of brands out there, and where I live, it's pretty tough to 'try before I buy' as every retailer round about where I live seems to purely sell Ashdown.

I'm after some portable cabs that have great lows and a rich mid range, I'm not wanting something with that hi-fi, scooped mid sound. I've had my eye on a few different cabs such as the Eden EX-112, Fender Rumble V3 & GK Neo range, but I have no idea what they sound like, and I never trust YouTube demos. I've also had a look the the Orange Isobaric cabs, and played through an SP212 a year or so ago, I was sure I really liked it at the time, but nearly every forum I've read has dragged it's name through the mud (pardon the pun), so that's made me re-think my interest. Major volume isn't a huge issue, as I go through the PA at nearly every gig I play.

My budget is approximately £600/£700 and I play a Lakland Skyline 44-01, Mark Bass Big Bang & D'Addario Chrome flats, any help or recommendations would be much appreciated.
[/quote]

Two TKS S112 cabs.
They are *very* portable and very light and just around the top end of your budget.
They're not as 'deep' as some other (bigger) cabs, but they are capable of more than enough bottom end and most of all, they sound *fantastic*. The bottom end is very tight, very good definition, and have a great pleasant mid range.

edit: ah, I got there late :lol:

Edited by mcnach