Why become a member? ×

Jolana D bass

Paul S

Hah! I nearly bought that on the Rickenfakers FB group! If the guy had been up for a trade, I probably would have...

This is more a Rick-shaped bass than a proper copy, If you're OK with the uncontoured front (which I find a bit uncomfortable but bearable on my Fakers) then broadly it's unlikely to be much out of the ordinary.

I've never played a Jolana so I'm no authority but clearly you won't have to contend with rubbish unfunctional bridges, clanky pickups with thumb-lacerating surrounds, chubby parallel necks and all those other Rick peculiarities. These do have a 33" scale but as far as I know that & the shape are all it really has in common with a real Rick.

If it turns out you hate it, chances are it won't be too hard to find it a new home. ;)

Jon.

This doesn't happen very often, but I'll have to correct Jon :D The Jolana D-Bass is 34" scale, and you can find a little information about them on my [url="http://www.rickenfaker.info/jolana.html"]website[/url]. I've owned two and deeply regret selling one of them. The first one had neck with a moderately wide fretboard, a little curving across the fretboard width (radius?) and very shallow width from fretboard to back of the neck. Lovely bass to play, and I can't entirely understand why I sold it. The second one had a much flatter fretboard, more like a Rick, and it was a much "chunkier" neck from fretboard to back of the neck. It was comfortable to play, but I found it much easier to move around the neck on the first one.

Based on the differences between the two I had, I'd suspect Jolana hand made their guitars rather than using CNC machines. Either way, they were both very well made and had excellent hardware. If you don't get on with the one you've bought, please, please contact me as I'd love to have another one. I scan eBay listings regularly, but they crop up very rarely (and the Rick police get them taken down usually).

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1466858704' post='3079402']
This doesn't happen very often, but I'll have to correct Jon :D The Jolana D-Bass is 34" scale,
[/quote]

Ta for putting me straight Chris, my info came direct from the sale thread for this very bass on the relevant FB group! No personal experience with these (despite about 15 years worth of GAS) so I'm certainly no authority.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but the [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jolana-D-Bass-/222162648326"]bass Paul's bought[/url] is the same one pictured on your site, isn't it?

J

Certainly does look the same one - would this be the one you sold, Chris?

For me it will ultimately come down to how heavy it is as to whether I keep it or not, I think. Anyway, I should be getting it Wednesday so will find out.

Oh my God, that is my bass - the one I wish I hadn't sold. Just to correct something in the listing, it didn't have a new truss rod fitted. I had the worst "dings" in the body professionally repaired, new scratch plate, new truss rod cover (the original was missing when I got it) and the original truss rod repaired since it had become jammed and couldn't be adjusted. It was relatively light, but that's relative to my other basses which are quite heavy. Paul - if it's too heavy for you or you don't get on with it for ant other reason, then I'd love to buy it off of you.

Well, Chris and Jon, I fear you may have a wait. It arrived this morning - first thing was to weigh it and it comes in at around 8.5lbs. Phew. Then everything else. At home practice levels it sounds great - toggle selector for pups plus vol/tone for each pup gives plenty of variety in sounds. Neck is comfy, a very low action - I may even have to raise it a bit! Seems a very nicely put together instrument and I look forward to getting to know it better. At the moment needs a bit of switch cleaner and that is it!