Why become a member? ×

Dispelling the myth. Not all Ibanez SR's are lightweight

Guest MoJo

Recently I'd been struggling with pain in my lumbar region on longer gigs. In an effort to reduce the load on my back, I thought about finding a lighter bass than my 8.9lb (4.05kg) Yamaha BB414. I've often seen it cited that the basses in the Ibanez SR range are lightweight, so I took a punt on a secondhand SR400. My initial impression was that it didn't feel that light. Popping it on the scales confirmed this, 9.0lbs, heavier than the BB414. Next up was an SR305 that I traded my Vintage V4MTB for, 8.8 lbs (4kg). Not heavy for a five string but almost as heavy as the Yamaha. Compare both of these with a recently acquired Squier VM Jazz 77 which tips the scales at a mere 6.6lbs (3kg). Now that's lightweight for a long scale bass. There obviously are lightweight examples in the SR range, but they're not all light

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1466717820' post='3078222']
But they do all have waffer-theen necks.
[/quote]

I'll agree on that one

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1466755409' post='3078397']
I may be stating the obvious but the way the bass balances also has a big impact on the perceived weight.
[/quote]

I agree, however I would say that out of the Squier and the SR400, the SR is the better balanced, yet on a recent 2 hour gig with the SR, the back pain was evident but a two hour rehearsal with the Squier, nothing

Mojo, the Yamaha BB I bought from you was about 4 kg, but i swapped out the tuners for some hipshot ultralite things, cost about £60 I think, and the weight saving was noticeable,also balances absolutely perfectly now. It's still a little heavier than my Mex jazz, but is more comfortable for longer periods...for me....because of the balance being better. Unfortunately I too have back problems,and realise everyone has different things that cause problems. Best wishes in getting a good outcome!!

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1466778961' post='3078761']
Mojo, the Yamaha BB I bought from you was about 4 kg, but i swapped out the tuners for some hipshot ultralite things, cost about £60 I think, and the weight saving was noticeable,also balances absolutely perfectly now. It's still a little heavier than my Mex jazz, but is more comfortable for longer periods...for me....because of the balance being better. Unfortunately I too have back problems,and realise everyone has different things that cause problems. Best wishes in getting a good outcome!!
[/quote]

Hipshot Ultralites for £60? We're they secondhand? If not, where did you get them from?

I'll see if I can find the paperwork, can't remember!!!! They were not the big clover leaf types, they're the smaller 'modern' shape ones, but the pegs that the strings tie on to were proper size, same as Yamahas. They obviously alter the look of the bass slightly,but I like it, my very own signature model!!!

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1466844176' post='3079256']
Think it may have been axesrus....will check....but the model I got were these....

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Hipshot-Licensed-HB6Y-Ultralite-Y-Key-Bass-Tuning-Machine_p_3095.html

(These are really cheap but from the States)
[/quote]

Right.....they're the 'licenced' hipshots, not the made in USA articles. I'd be happy with the licenced versions, but I'd want the clover leaf key type