Why become a member? ×

Scotts Bass lessons sign up.

bubinga5

Hi mate, Scotts tutorial modules are just one part of the SBL Academy, the rest being expert seminars, backing tracks, student feedback, and other stuff that I can't remember right now.

If you've got issues or questions, go into the 'campus' section (the forum essentially) and ask there, people are really helpful. Or if you don't feel like doing that, send a private message through the forum to one of the mods or admins.

168 bucks sounds like the full whack, usually there's promos during the year you can get it for less, like during live events etc.

Its a great resource and worth the money in my view, also the amount of in depth lessons, tutorials and seminars just grows all the time.

Cheers, Dan

[quote name='zbd1960' timestamp='1466713384' post='3078171']
As I understand it, you can sign-up to the web site, which has some videos etc for free. The 14 day trail refers to the academy.
[/quote]

Yes that's right. The free part is just the YouTube clips/lessons plus a few small extras.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1466717833' post='3078223']
Seems very very good so far. I may cancel before 14 days then come back when I have the cash.it definitely seems worth the $168.I presume that's a years subscription. ?
[/quote]

Not a bad way to go, if you are on the mailing list you might get a cheaper offer sometime anyway. 168USD is first years subscription (although often cheaper), after the first year you'll be offered lifetime membership for about the same again or further annual subs for less.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1466712071' post='3078161']
Has anyone actually signed up for his tutorials online. I'm a little confused. I've just started a 14 day trial, but after that it's $168!. I thought it was just Scott and his bass lessons.? Not the SBL academy.?
[/quote]

$168 was, when I signed, about £100. That equates to about 4 one to one lessons. That strikes me as reasonable.

• 1 month later...

I have always been unsure about SBL. I got the feeling that the $168 is for what they call the 'core course material', but that all the other specific courses, like walking bass and stuff, are extra again on top of that? I will have to try the freebie trial one day an check it out. Anyone know any more about this? Would it be just as useful to pay for half a dozen one to one lessons locally?

The advantage with SBL is being able to have the same lesson repeated and you can move from tutorial to tutorial depending upon what you want to learn. Also you can log-in when you like in the comfort of your own home or from any suitable location.
You can also login for live events, and talk to tutors who are normally well known bass players.
The option to try before you by is a bonus and personally I like Scott's style of teaching.

Thanks [b]naxos10[/b], that's useful to know. I have been tempted, as I live in a rural area, and finding and getting to a bass tutor is quite tricky. The consensus seems to be that SBL is pretty good value. I will have a go at the free trial and check it out. :)

[quote name='Sausages' timestamp='1470125006' post='3103334']
Thanks [b]naxos10[/b], that's useful to know. I have been tempted, as I live in a rural area, and finding and getting to a bass tutor is quite tricky. The consensus seems to be that SBL is pretty good value. I will have a go at the free trial and check it out. :)
[/quote]

The value for money is amazing. Loads of courses, loads of plays longs, transcriptions to the free YouTube stuff, there is usually a live guest seminar from a top player around once a week (which can be watched anytime if you miss it), a bass hang with Scott, plus feedback from Scott on your videos and loads more. For me, at least, there's more material than I have time!

I signed up and got really confused with all the emails and which content i could and couldn't access. The emails dropped off and then restarted? I found it a bit "in yer face" with all the eMarketing and felt like i had to be careful about which buttons i pressed as didn't want to inadvertently sign myself up for something.

Like to dip in and out - Scotts stuff is great but in reality i've enough books and resources to last me a lifetime.

• 5 months later...

Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but I guess it is better than creating a new one.

I am currently looking at getting my bass chops up to date as I feel that there are so many young "cats" out there that are killing it.
SBL is one of the options I am looking at as with my work schedule paired up with gigs and rehearsals I am not sure if I could commit to a tutor on a regular basis.

Just wanted to see if any others have tried it out and what are your thoughts?

If you have any other recommendations I am open to suggestions.

Cheers,

Byron

Byron,

Some of my thoughts are already above. I've been a member for about 2 years now.

I'd suggest rather than taking too many opinions, just sign up for the free trial and see what you think.

There are a few other sites on this list that may be worth checking out.

http://onlinebassguitar.com/top-50-bass-sites-web/

Others are focussed on paying for individual courses whereas Scott's is an all you can eat buffet. Suits me fine but some new members do get lost among all the content.

Good luck choosing, Dan

Joe Hubbard's book is good. I bought a copy online. Around £40 from memory. Plenty in there to keep you interested. You get offered loads of add-ons and extras, but you don't need to buy them. I also get the free stuff from SBL and watch his Youtube vids.

I'm a dormant member at SBL. That's to say I was very involved and well into it, but got fed up of some aspects of it.

The lessons are very good and represent amazing value compared to the cost of face-2-face lessons, which I've never really got on with.

Joe Hubbard came on SBL as a live webcast thing. He presented a lesson or 2 and promoted his book. £40 struck me as a lot of dosh for a book in PDF format that you need to print yourself if you want it in paper version. But I'm tight, I guess.

Byo, what are you wanting to work on? Maybe we can give more useful help if you tell us what you're aiming at?

What I mean is, tell us what you're wanting to improve and we can tell you if Scott covers it in the paid-for lessons

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='fftc' timestamp='1485363018' post='3223410']
Why does SBL charge in dollars? Isn't he from Leeds? :unsure:
[/quote]
Most of the SBL students are in the USA. Also, most other people in the world will also know how their currency stacks against the US$ they won't so often know about the exchange rate with GBP.

[quote name='OmeDunk' timestamp='1485362945' post='3223409']
Is there a subscription for e-mails in which you will be notified in case there are offers?
[/quote]

I'm not 100% sure on this anymore, but I think you get the newsletter if you give your email for the free bass toolkit http://www.scottsbasslessons.com/scotts-backstage-bonuses-area

Also, you seem to be able to sign up for the newsletter via the latest competition page (link from youtube): https://www.scottsbasslessons.com/eden-giveaway

Failing that, follow on facebook etc.

I know there have been special deals in the past, but given how popular the site is now, it could be he's doing them less - obviously being a member I don't the notifications anymore.

Someone mentioned trying to keep up with the young cats that are killing it. Why? Do you want to be a bass superstar? To be a regular gigging bassplayer does not require you to "kill it" .... it requires you to play with taste, tone and time. When I was younger I went through the usual phase of learning Jaco, Rocco Prestia, etc. Then I realised I never used all those chops in a live situation. So I refocused onto guys like my inspiration, Lee Sklar. I found the less I played, the more work I got. In fact I stole a weekly jazz residency off a guy who was "killing it" because the rest of the band (keys, sax, trumpet, drums) wanted someone who laid down the chord outlines and kept the bottom end happening. These were guys at the top of their game, but they wanted a BASSplayer, not a bass soloist.