Why become a member? ×

Practice Amp - Replacement Head?

DanOwens

I have a Hartke A35 that I put in storage for a while and on taking it out, discovered a fault. I sent it to an amp tech who said there's a fault on the board that wouldn't be worth fixing.

So now I've got a nice enclosure, a nice speaker, but no 'head' section. I have a LM250 but I'm worried the little Hartke speaker won't take that level. Any suggestions on a solution? Any micro, low-watt heads around?

Thanks!

Edited by DanOwens

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1466802889' post='3079067']
Use the volume control and your ears. I'm sure that if you're careful the LM250 will work fine.

Frank.
[/quote]

Thanks Frank. I'll give it a go!

I was kinda hoping for a little power amp box. I found a tiny 30w TDA2030 power amp circuit on eBay which looked simple enough (and the size of a credit card) but when I started to look into how to power it I realised I have no bloody clue about all that and would probably end up crispy if I gave it a go!!

Anyone done any TDA2030 amp builds?

Dan

[quote name='DanOwens' timestamp='1466793751' post='3078965']
I have a Hartke A35 that I put in storage for a while and on taking it out, discovered a fault. I sent it to an amp tech who said there's a fault on the board that wouldn't be worth fixing.

[/quote]

As this is a low power amp it will be fairly straightforward and low component count.The Tech can locate the fault, I just wonder what can be so wrong that it is not worth fixing? Did you get a clear detailed explanation?

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1466808951' post='3079148']

As this is a low power amp it will be fairly straightforward and low component count.The Tech can locate the fault, I just wonder what can be so wrong that it is not worth fixing? Did you get a clear detailed explanation?
[/quote]

I didn't get a clear explanation as I got the impression that diagnosing the problem would have been the costly bit.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1466809485' post='3079155']
There's some great dinky little amp modules on 41Hz, some of which can run off batteries.
May need some kind of a preamp too though.
[/quote]

The preamp in the Hartke works fine so I'll check it out.

[quote name='DanOwens' timestamp='1466846623' post='3079288']
I didn't get a clear explanation as I got the impression that diagnosing the problem would have been the costly bit.
[/quote]

:( Might be worth finding a hobby electronics person / friend who can look.