Why become a member? ×

Zz Top

LZD56

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1466796962' post='3078996']
They sound pretty lacklustre to me :(
Feel for him though if it is health/injury.

Glad I'm languishing on the sofa watching, rather than wading around in the mud :lol:
[/quote]+1

Amazing what a proper bit of bass can do innit!

[quote name='LZD56' timestamp='1466800372' post='3079027']
Just a thought on Dusty's telecaster bass - does the reverse headstock give a tighter e-string as it has a longer travel to the tuner?
[/quote]

Supposed to but who knows. Is that a Fender or a Bolin / 'House of JB'

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1466802205' post='3079053']
I enjoyed ZZ Top, but they didn't seem very enthusiastic and not good on timing.
[/quote]

I thought the same. Didn't sound very tight, Frank Beard's kick drum seemed a bit approximate at times.

I'm a big fan of the band, we play a couple of their numbers in our set.
They failed to impress me with their performance last night, it was weak and very sloppy.
It really showed when they played Tush, the guitarist was behind (timing) the bass and drums.

Edited by steantval

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1466799203' post='3079020']
TBH Foals are mopping the floor re. sound/output (never heard of em g'vnor) BIG fan of ZZ but past prime to be mixing it with young blood.
[/quote]

I was doing something else in another room and had it on in the background, must have missed the announcer intro. I honestly thought it was Bloc Party until I nipped in to look at the screen.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='LZD56' timestamp='1466800372' post='3079027']
Yep Foals have got real energy. Just a thought on Dusty's telecaster bass - does the reverse headstock give a tighter e-string as it has a longer travel to the tuner?
[/quote]

Generally no, the string length / mass / tension / pitch relationship is fixed and determined by the vibrating length only. Only time the non-vibrating sections might come into play is on big string bends where the string might slide slightly over the nut but its not an effect I've ever noticed in practice and I own guitars with and without locking nuts.

Edited by bassman7755

I'm no guitarist, so I'm sure people will probably tell me different, but I thought Billy Gibbons noodling guitar solo's when playing with Ronnie Spector were awful, it reminded me of when I first started learning guitar aged about twelve, and I thought, "if that's the best I can do, then I need to find another instrument" :(

Mind you, I guess some people probably think that I should give up bass too! :huh: