Why become a member? ×

Fender Flea Signature Jazz Bass

NJE

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1469633989' post='3099933']
Not sure unfortunately. My American Standard has the normal USA Standard pickups from before 2012. The 64's just seem very 'organic' and 'full' to me.
[/quote]

I may go to Guitar Guitar to try one of those pink wonders... but I'll leave my credit card at home, just in case! :lol:

Well I bought one of these a few weeks back (July 1st). I have to say I was pretty underwhelmed out of the box, even more so when the front PUP stopped working after a few minutes of playing. Perhaps I had a Friday afternoon instrument, but to me the feel was mediocre, and whilst the tone was OK, it was not significantly different to any other factory Jazz I've played. In terms of playability and tone however this bass was not a touch on my £500 bitsa, equipped with SD Weather Report PUPs, Kiogon circuit, Allparts neck and plain ash body. Yes, it looked OK but next to an original Pre-CBS it looked fugazi (Fender really do need to spend a few more minutes on each instrument making the bare wood look as if it hasn't had the paint scraped off the day before with a power sander), whilst next to my other Flea Bass, albeit one made by Modulus, it felt frankly agricultural to play and completely lacking in grunt. It went back the very next day, but it took a while to get my refund (which I found extremely annoying given not only was I within the seven days of purchase but it was also faulty), hence not posting sooner in case it got messy with the shop in question.

As I say, mine may have been a Friday afternoon bass, even Friday evening finishing-off after having a few beers. Either way, I expect to see a lot of these for sale over the next few months.

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1469641636' post='3100005']

As I say, mine may have been a Friday afternoon bass, even Friday evening finishing-off after having a few beers. Either way, I expect to see a lot of these for sale over the next few months.

Chris
[/quote]

Too bad Chris, I reckon you must have of course wanted this bass to be the muts nuts so that's quite a disappointment. You've had some killer basses in your ownership over the years, from original vintage to the better end of Custom Shop and I suppose that makes it much harder to accept a bass that is aesthetically based on those lines, but not even close. I mean the relicing on Custom Shop can be very hit and miss so I would never expect a decent relic at lower prices, haven't ever seen one yet and doubt I ever will. Having owned similar basses to you (and often the same ones!) the relicing put me off immediately. Not quite as bad as the SRV Strat (edit - I mean Rory Gallagher not SRV) that has shiny paint in patches, but still very processed and odd in places. I'm also pretty sure that Flea's 61 has only worn down to the undercoat, or at the least not having the wood that much exposed.

As for the tone, shame you got a bad one as the RW's can be awesome. I was saying just the other day that no matter how great a guitar maker is, sometimes wood just isn't meant to be a guitar and should have been a table or something :)

Like I said earlier I still reckon the spec of this bass is great and perfect for many a player, it fills a great gap in the market and I probably would have got one just for the hell of it if I didn't have a Jazz Bass that I'm perfectly content with. I'm also very content with my Modulus Flea and am GAS free, but if the Custom Shop release the one he's currently playing I'm screwed!

Edited by Chiliwailer

Ultimately mine is going back because of the flacking finish on the back of the neck :( Honestly I agreed the finish doesn't look naturally aged. I am thinking of just getting an american standard jazz (always wanted a jazz). How do the post 2012 models compare (I do like the natural sound of the flea jazz)?

[quote name='rhcp128' timestamp='1469649159' post='3100084']
Ultimately mine is going back because of the flacking finish on the back of the neck :( Honestly I agreed the finish doesn't look naturally aged. I am thinking of just getting an american standard jazz (always wanted a jazz). How do the post 2012 models compare (I do like the natural sound of the flea jazz)?
[/quote]

I have a 2015 USA Std, (previously owned Pre CBS, 70's and Custom Shop Jazzes). I LOVE this bass! Wasn't even expecting to get one as I never liked the Std's enough to keep hold of one in the past but this bass really stood out to me in the shop and it was an instant bond, had to buy it.
I compared it to 3 Custom Shop Jazzes recently and was very happy that mine was on par, all basses had their own thing going on. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you get one that suits you they are great basses.

Jesus. Reading the last few pages isn't good. What percentage of BC'ers have had some kind of issue? Broken pickups, flaking paint, threaded screws, pole pieces not lining up, warped plastic, chunks of pick guard missing, chewed truss rod, dead spots, super high action, the list appears endless! Fender QC, people don't exaggerate do they! :(

I wonder if they will release a proper US Custom Shop version at some point?

Hmm, I've just had a couple of hours on mine tonight, at rehearsal. 1st time I've actually played it properly.
I have set the action a touch higher than I would like. Rectify that this weekend. Spare time has been in short supply this last three weeks.

No niggles apart from the action which I'll sort. It's a shame some of these basses do have issues. Playing mine tonight, it was great to play and sounded very good. And there was quite a lot of interest in the studio we use to rehearse.
And at 8lb 4oz, it was a joy to use.

Sorry to the guys who got basses that weren't satisfactory.

Glad I put a Warwick Custom Shop up instead of this. Well, at the moment :lol: .

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1469710404' post='3100530']
mmmm - I'd expect to see a 'tan line' in the paintwork. Less faded under the pickguard.
[/quote]

It's all painted that colour rather than painted shell pink and UV bombed. To be expected on a £900 bass

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1469656275' post='3100176']
Jesus. Reading the last few pages isn't good. What percentage of BC'ers have had some kind of issue? Broken pickups, flaking paint, threaded screws, pole pieces not lining up, warped plastic, chunks of pick guard missing, chewed truss rod, dead spots, super high action, the list appears endless! Fender QC, people don't exaggerate do they! :(

I wonder if they will release a proper US Custom Shop version at some point?
[/quote]

I sent mine back too. I really wanted to love this bass and there was lots I did love, but overall I struggled with the quality of it. Firstly the set up was very poor the more I think about it. For a bass near a grand that's not good enough. But there was something that felt this was thrown together. However, I was starting to really like it and I really did love the concept of it, when the whole control plate came out when I pulled my lead out! So it went straight back. Bizarrely, I'm contemplating ordering another one. I think it's the flea affect, or the vintage jazz vibe, or most people saying theirs is amazing! :-s

[quote name='maldy' timestamp='1469724461' post='3100691']
I sent mine back too. I really wanted to love this bass and there was lots I did love, but overall I struggled with the quality of it. Firstly the set up was very poor the more I think about it. For a bass near a grand that's not good enough. But there was something that felt this was thrown together. However, I was starting to really like it and I really did love the concept of it, when the whole control plate came out when I pulled my lead out! So it went straight back. Bizarrely, I'm contemplating ordering another one. I think it's the flea affect, or the vintage jazz vibe, or most people saying theirs is amazing! :-s
[/quote]

I really like the features on the Flea jazz but honestly, the number of faulty ones is quite shocking and is putting me off. And it's not all minor niggles either.

I'm glad for everyone who got a good one and with a light weight though.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1469726173' post='3100698']
I really like the features on the Flea jazz but honestly, the number of faulty ones is quite shocking and is putting me off. And it's not all minor niggles either.

I'm glad for everyone who got a good one and with a light weight though.

Frank.
[/quote]
+1. The lack of consistency with these basses puts me right off. Seems Fender have yet to sort out their QC issues. A couple of years back I purchased a Fender american jazz online and it was a joke in terms of QC.

It is a real shame. For weeks I was trying to find a way of freeing up the cash for one, but second hand appears to be definitely the way to go so you know your getting a decent one.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1469788633' post='3101031']
Or just order a Limelight or Maruszczyk? ;)
Would be an easy spec to recreate

Si
[/quote]

Do Maruszczyk offer worn-finishes/nitro?

I know Limelight do.

I think once you add nitro/worn (if you want it), a high end set of pickups, VV/TT, fairly light weight, I bet both Maruszczyk and Limelight would be more expensive than the Fender.

The Fender, IMO, would also have that added resale value bonus, not that I'd want to sell mine.

Be interested to see if either of the above could offer something similar or better for a similar price.

As Gareth said, both are likely to be more expensive than the Fender.
Whilst as yet we don't know resale on the Flea (apart from one) Maruszczyk and Limelight both seem to suffer from significant depreciation and also seem to appeal to less people second hand.

I can understand why that happens, for a couple of reasons.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1469793179' post='3101077']
fad

noun

an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived; a craze.
"some regard green politics as no more than the latest fad"
[/quote]

I can see what you're saying but for me it's not. I was in the market for an AVRI stacker and was even contemplating buying another RW Jazz and refinishing in a custom colour, this was just what i was looking for

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1469793179' post='3101077']
fad

noun

an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived; a craze.
"some regard green politics as no more than the latest fad"
[/quote]

Not for me. I have always wanted a Roadworn Fender. I have always wanted a shell pink Fender. I have been interested in stacked knob Jazz basses for a while. I had no clue these would hit the market as a sig model with quality pickups etc.