Why become a member? ×

Fender Flea Signature Jazz Bass

NJE

Rehearsed with mine tonight. It sounded great at volume.

Took a new MarkBass Alain Caron combo along (a new 'toy' for me) and they worked very well together.

Interestingly the band didn't really notice the bass at all. When I took my '63 they showed some interest and the knackered looking '68 got loads of interest. The Flea got nothing, literally not a single comment :(

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1474540418' post='3138639']
Anyone got flats on a Flea yet ?
[/quote]

Should it have flats though? It's a Flea signature model, and what with Flea being known for slapping, I'm guessing that was a factor in its design.

So flats on a slap machine?

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1474638308' post='3139489']
Should it have flats though? It's a Flea signature model, and what with Flea being known for slapping, I'm guessing that was a factor in its design.

[/quote]

I'm sure that somewhere in this thread it says that Flea actually had flats on it when he recorded with it.
Mine now has dead rounds on it and it sounds fab, so if I can work out which flats to use I may switch but I'm daunted by all the stuff about tension etc.
I've used Roto swing bass for most of my career and am used to that tension (45-105).

I've got flats on my hofner, La Bella, deep talking bass and they are great. I had Picato flats on my Jack Cassady and didn't really like them but I don't know why.
I had Steve Harris flats on my Steve Harris WHUFC bass but they were too heavy and when the truss rod broke they sent me a new Steve Harris bass but with fender rounds fitted (The flats are in the gig bag) and I prefer the feel.

any 'flats' advice always welcomed

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1474641984' post='3139537']
I rather like these, work well on both Rick and Fender, not too taught, not too loose, well, for me anyway :)

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361711320377?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=631022568351&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.u...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]
[/quote]

I'll keep them in mind, thanks Karl

[/quote]

that bass was designed well before slapping ;)
there's nothing special about a bass to qualify as 'designed for slap'
It's a Jazz. An early Jazz designed in fact. It would sound cool with flats, of course.

[/quote]
Flea uses his Jazz with flats. If you want a slap machine, pick up his Modulus with Boomers instead.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1474663711' post='3139788']
Flea has done some awesome non slapped songs, Soul to squeeze is always a killer.
[media]http://youtu.be/0XcN12uVHeQ[/media]
The perfect rhcp track imo and not on any album!
[/quote]

indeed, that's a great song. Flea has not been slap-crazy for well over a decade, actually since BSSM in 1991, probably. There's some slap here and there but there's a lot more to his basslines, yet people seem to just think fast and furious slap only