Why become a member? ×

Fender Flea Signature Jazz Bass

NJE

I think maybe they've stopped production already. I could be wrong there, but I know I read that somewhere.
I'm not trying to panic / rush you into buying one - but it may be that it's only the existing stock that shops are now selling

I had expressed an interest at my local PMT music shop in Cardiff. They had 2 in their original batch, and they sold really quickly. One of the guys there said he'd order me one in for a deposit. He said the deposit was returnable if I didn't like the bass, as it would sell quickly anyway. Saw him just before Xmas, and he said he'd tried to order one for another customer, but couldn't get one atm.... so it may either be that there aren't any available at PMT's suppliers, or that they have indeed stopped the current run.....

I dithered and pondered about one of these. Luckily, a local friendly BC'er had taken one in trade, and offered it to me. I didn't "need" it - I already had way too many basses, including my fabulous Roaworn Jazz - but I love my Flea sig :)
EDIT: No QC issues whatsoever - it plays superbly, is quite lightweight and with a gorgeous neck (different to my other RW Jazz) and lovely sound / pickups too......

Edited by Marc S

I've no idea on how long the production run is. Andertons had some in stock when they released the video. I don't think they would market it and demo it unless they could order some more in, but who knows.

I would personally jump on one if you can. They will no doubt be subject to yet another price rise soon.

I'd be tempted to buy one sooner rather than later if you seriously want one - they do generally cut things off after a while & the prices only ever go one way!

I'm sure you're capable of managing your own finances but in case you didn't know; the post office have had a decent offer on their credit cards recently - 26 months interest free (actually just checked - you can get even longer from some others now)! I often use long interest free credit cards to buy expensive stuff as it allows you to spread the cost the same way you would when saving the money up in advances & is often much better/flexible than shop credit. Obviously only go down this route if you've got a solid income & can control yourself.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1484215030' post='3213531']
I've no idea on how long the production run is......

....I would personally jump on one if you can. They will no doubt be subject to yet another price rise soon.
[/quote]

Or you could sit tight and wait for one to come up second-hand on the marketplace here?
I'm sure no matter whether the production run has ended, or how soon before it ends, there are enough of them around for someone to be selling theirs in the near future....

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1484215030' post='3213531']
I've no idea on how long the production run is. Andertons had some in stock when they released the video. I don't think they would market it and demo it unless they could order some more in, but who knows.

I would personally jump on one if you can. They will no doubt be subject to yet another price rise soon.
[/quote]

I actually spoke to Lee Anderton the other day, he said he doesn't actually know himself and that it very well could be the case that it will just be a short limited run.
GAK told me it had been discontinued already.
I don't think anyone knows...

[quote name='simonlittle' timestamp='1484235793' post='3213830']
I just picked up a beautiful second hand one from Wunjo's on Denmark Street. Absolutely beautiful instrument. They had a new one too but this one just felt right straight away; guess whoever bought it previously had it set up really well. Plays like butter...
[/quote]

I absolutely love mine after a good set up and some Flea BassBoomers it sounds epic and plays amazingly

[quote name='AutomaticWriting' timestamp='1484233044' post='3213792']

I actually spoke to Lee Anderton the other day, he said he doesn't actually know himself and that it very well could be the case that it will just be a short limited run.
GAK told me it had been discontinued already.
I don't think anyone knows...
[/quote]

The Captain!

I just picked up a beautiful second hand one from Wunjo's on Denmark Street. Absolutely beautiful instrument. They had a new one too...
[/quote]

How did you know which was which? :-)

I'm sure some less scrupulous retailers would have tried to sell it as new!

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1484303867' post='3214458']

How did you know which was which? :-)

I'm sure some less scrupulous retailers would have tried to sell it as new!
[/quote]

The used one did look exactly the same as the brand new one! Although it played a lot better due to the lovely setup. Apparently Flea himself had been in and played the new one...

[quote name='simonlittle' timestamp='1484304054' post='3214462']
The used one did look exactly the same as the brand new one! Although it played a lot better due to the lovely setup. Apparently Flea himself had been in and played the new one...
[/quote]

Well they've only been out a few months, I doubt it was [i]that[/i] used lol

I played one last week but I couldn't make my mind up on it. I have a feeling I will live to regret not taking the plunge. Such is life.

The problem was, the action was way too high and the neck was visibly bowed inwards. I'm not one for exaggerations but it was almost impossible to play! The guy at the shop kindly offered to set it up for me but unfortunately I was with family and elsewhere to be. I really wish it had of played nicely because there would have been a real chance I'd of walked out with it.

A second problem was the tone control for the bridge PU felt flimsy. In comparison to the neck control, it felt loose and maybe sitting incorrectly on the shaft. Although the aesthetics of the VT/VT are great, i didn't naturally take to it as a tone shaping tool. Maybe its just cause I'm used to V/V/T

I want to try a roadworn jazz before I look at playing another one of these, see how they compare. Despite my negative impressions of the one I played, I can still see myself falling in love with a good one!

It worries me that a shop can have stuff on display that they have not taken the the time and effort to at least set up to some sort of default specification. Surely they lose sales this way as we leave the shop thinking that the guitar itself is no good. Maybe I'm just spoilt by my local [independent] guitar shop....?

I just picked up a beautiful second hand one from Wunjo's on Denmark Street. Absolutely beautiful instrument. They had a new one too but this one just felt right straight away; guess whoever bought it previously had it set up really well. Plays like butter...
[/quote]

Nooooooo I was going to grab this one haha. Was going to go for the one Flea was holding but couldn't justify the extra money just because he had held it for a picture haha.
(Despite being a hardcore RHCP fan).