Why become a member? ×

Glastonbury 2016 - thoughts?

taunton-hobbit

I've been (not quite) watching this years offering - I liked Madness, but then, they are of 'my time' - turned off a lot of prog-rock noise and a fair number of females who seemed to think that 'talent' consists of stamping around the stage with spread legs (yawn) - Tina Turner did this stuff fifty years ago....anyone fancy coming in (maybe I'm just too old)?

Enjoyed Dhakhabrakha from Ukraine last night.
Just watched Madness. ZZ Top not so hot last night. I couldn't be bothered to watch Muse.
Saw some Foals too, not a fan of that. Much preffered Sigur Ros.

Is the sound/mix a bit disjointed this year?

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1466889290' post='3079620']
Lots of bands with programmed keyboards !
That's not live Music in my book.
[/quote]

Schoolboy error if your talking about Muse :)

To be honest, more and more bands are using PCs these days as part of their setup. Its just part of the modern game now, it seems that bands want their live shows to sound more and more like the records.

Caught the tail end of something called Wolf Alice earlier on. No idea what the music was like but they were giving it some stick and having a ball, so might have to YouTube them.

Also caught Baaba Maal follows by some kick ass Afrobeat stuff, but again didn't catch who they were. Sorry I'm not much help am I?

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1466892015' post='3079637']
Caught the tail end of something called Wolf Alice earlier on. No idea what the music was like but they were giving it some stick and having a ball, so might have to YouTube them.
[/quote]
Never seen/heard of them before seeing the Glastonbury stuff on telly today - really liked them.

That last track was Giant Peach..

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1466943841' post='3079858']
Switched it on to catch a few minutes of Adele and ended up watching the whole set.
[/quote]

Exactly the same here.

I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy the album but I thought she was outstanding live.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1466890034' post='3079626']
Schoolboy error if your talking about Muse :)

To be honest, more and more bands are using PCs these days as part of their setup. Its just part of the modern game now, it seems that bands want their live shows to sound more and more like the records.
[/quote]
"You're", not "your". I'd have let it go if you hadn't mentioned schoolboy error.

Switched it on to catch a few minutes of Adele and ended up watching the whole set. Thought she was very good. I'm quite prepared to be in the minority with this opinion. :lol:
[/quote]

Same as - not a real fan of hers TBH but she was so down to earth (common?) that I saw her in a different light. I enjoyed her set.

Switched it on to catch a few minutes of Adele and ended up watching the whole set. Thought she was very good. I'm quite prepared to be in the minority with this opinion. :lol:
[/quote] i will be in the minority with you

I saw the first bit of adele and she was off key which surprised me. Maybe her monitoring was poor. I don't really know her but people rave. Got bored so went to watch something else, and came back for the end. She certainly rabbits on between songs doesn't she, but I guess that is her choice and what her fans want. At least the last song she was on key for, so that was better, but yes, not my sort of thing.

I enjoyed New Order, I thought the white Precision sounded pretty mighty, I know Bernard's voice isn't the strongest but I thought they delivered, The Foals on Friday sounded good but I have not seen much else that would make me want to go.....Thinking about it, I am 50 this year and have never been, short of a live set from the original Ramones I doubt there is a single thing on the planet that would persuade me to spend 3 days getting there, 3 days wallowing in mud, and 3 weeks recovering from the experience!

Old and grumpy but not covered in mud :)

Disclosure were superb on Friday with Howard playing live bass (Fender Jazz) and getting some mean tones from it.

[attachment=222313:tumblr_o9dk664Rgn1uvhjoko1_500.gif]

Enjoyed Nao, Does anyone know who the bass player is? He plays a Musicman through a plethora of effects to give a synth / keyboard sound. .

I'm watching the Pyramid stage live on I Player, and wondering quite how it can take so long to do the changeovers?
Seems to me that there's a lot of manpower involved here -
I'm expecting that by now (this is 2016) everything this side of a drumkit should be (literally) on wheels?
Please tell me if I'm wrong (don't bother pointing out 'this is a festival', please)

:)

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1466883930' post='3079583']
Aurora has me mesmerised at the moment.
[/quote]

Yes she reminds me of seeing the girl who fronted the sugercubes for the first time :)

Not that she is the same , but that she is totally unique without being contrived