Why become a member? ×

New 4 String Advice

progben

Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for a new 4 string bass and just wanted to ask for some recommendations.

I bought a Yammy TRBX304 for £100 as my first bass - plays well and was a bargain - but after having used it for a year, I'm looking to fix my niggles with it by buying another. I love the fast, thin neck (think it's 38mm nut spacing) but would prefer passive pickups (or something with an active/passive switch) as I prefer the tone set flat.

I play in a punk band but we incorporate elements of reggae (think The Clash) and also a little hardcore/metal crossover so it needs to be fairly versatile. My main head is an Aggie Tonehammer.

Any advice appreciated! My initial thoughts off the bat are to try some Ibanez's or a Japanese made Yamaha (maybe the TRB4 II) to see how I get on.

Cheers!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1466890204' post='3079628']
Ibanez was my first thought, loads of bass for the money. Second hand, as always, is key to get the best you can get at that kind of budget :)
[/quote]

yep, ibanez would be the way to go if you like thin necks, the SR500 is excellent value for money and while it doesnt come with a passive switch it does have a mid frequency selector (on the newer models) but if you go second hand you can pick up an excellent bass for not much money. the 500 also has an excellent range of tones on tap. get out and try a few