Why become a member? ×

Recommended Transcribing

JuliusGroove

Hi Guys,

Have recently started to hit the transcribing hard, just wondering if there are some pieces you would recommend?

Maybe something you found particularly interesting, not necessarily overly challenging! (Still getting the hang of the rhythm aspect of it..)

Or good pieces to work on particular aspects... such as rhythms.. :lol:

Thanks!

Jack

I'd recommend anything that [b]you [i]love[/i] the sound of[/b]. Presumably you're transcribing to get new things into your playing and develop your own sound - this only really works if you're passionate about the music that you're transcribing.

I spent a long time transcribing Miles Davis solos because people told me that I should listen to him, but I realised that I didn't really like his playing so the whole exercise was largely pointless. Much better to deal with music that excites you, regardless of what it is.

One thing I will say on [i]what[/i] to transcribe: if you're looking to develop your soloing, avoid transcribing bass players.

As far as transcribing rhythms goes... Your ability to hear and write rhythms is directly related to your ability to [i]read[/i] rhythms. Spending some time working on rhythm reading (Louis Bellson's Modern Reading in 4/4 is a good start, there's also an MI encyclopedia of reading rhythms which lots of people recommend) will speed up the transcription process. The good thing about rhythm reading and rhythmic transcription is that you can practise them anywhere - I keep the Bellson book in my bag and confuse other commuters by tapping away during train journeys.

It;s good practice to transcribe other instruments, not just bass. Something I did a couple of years ago was transcribe piano parts. That really helps with hearing intervals. Bill Evans and Robert Glasper etc, it's a bit frustrating to start with, but very rewarding. At uni we had to do drum parts too.

Tom has given good advice as usual. Keep in mind he's a pro; I'm commenting as an amateur/semi-pro (my day job is in something else, but I have been to music school, can read music, arrange, analyse charts, etc etc.

That said, I would simply suggest transcribing what you enjoy. I also tried transcribing people I wasn't fussed on and it was a waste, although they were part of the 'canon' of things you were meant to study. But I do best when I find something that catches me and makes me go 'hm...gotta learn how to do that'. The instrument doesn't matter.

Have a care that you don't HAVE to transcribe the whole song or the entire solo, although again it's good. But take the bits you like for sure.

Overall, I will simply say I have become much less bothered about the process of writing out what I have learned - though it's still good to do. I now consider it best to be able to sing the solo, learn how to play it on bass, understand it as best I can in context of the chords, and then finally write it out. Even then, I consider it more important to use the bits I have learned (try them on tunes, put them in all 12 keys) than I do to committing it to paper.

Just my 2p

Pete

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1467283789' post='3082474']
The instrument doesn't matter.
[/quote]

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1467214433' post='3082006']
It;s good practice to transcribe other instruments, not just bass.
[/quote]

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1467326116' post='3082942']
Try non bass music.
[/quote]

It seems that I'm in good company...

In my opinion some more benefits of transcribing instruments that aren't bass are as follows:

- Some musical devices that sax/piano players use regularly are a complete nightmare on a bass (consecutive 4ths, for example) so you'll come up against some unusual technical puzzles that you'll have to solve.

- Depending on the range of your bass (and how masochistic you're feeling) it might be necessary to octave transpose some notes from a phrase to get them to 'fit' properly on the bass. The beauty of this is that your ear will start to dictate how you rephrase another musician's vocabulary and can produce some new ideas.

- I once went to a masterclass with veteran pianist Barry Harris, who bluntly said that "bass players don't know enough about harmony". He's right. Horn players and pianists (and possibly 0.000001% of guitarists) are light years ahead of us harmonically, so getting to grips with their concepts can really help you break out of sounding like every other bassist.

Above all, good luck!

[quote name='JuliusGroove' timestamp='1467412974' post='3083607']
Well then I'm follow up, how do I get my harmony chops together!
[/quote]

If books are your thing, then this is good [url="http://www.shermusic.com/1883217040.php"]http://www.shermusic.com/1883217040.php[/url]

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1467419037' post='3083625']

If books are your thing, then this is good [url="http://www.shermusic.com/1883217040.php"]http://www.shermusic.com/1883217040.php[/url]
[/quote]

I do have that actually, I struggle with books sometimes. Always feels like a cold way to learn.. Needs must I suppose!

[quote name='JuliusGroove' timestamp='1467425136' post='3083637']

I do have that actually, I struggle with books sometimes. Always feels like a cold way to learn.. Needs must I suppose!
[/quote]

Have a look in gumtree or elsewhere. See if there's someone near you teaches H and T. It'd something I teach, but I'm in Birmingham,

[quote name='JuliusGroove' timestamp='1467412974' post='3083607']
Well then I'm follow up, how do I get my harmony chops together!
[/quote]

There are a couple of good books out there, but as someone who is guilty of repeatedly buying books and never doing anything with them I'd strongly recommend getting 1-on-1 lessons with someone local to you. Ask around and find out who gets recommended near Brighton - whilst it's true that you can now have a Skype lesson with pretty much anyone you want I've found that being in the same room produces greater rewards than the virtual thing. If you're willing to travel then London will give you lots of options.

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1467283789' post='3082474']
Tom has given good advice as usual. Keep in mind he's a pro; I'm commenting as an amateur/semi-pro (my day job is in something else, but I have been to music school, can read music, arrange, analyse charts, etc etc.
[/quote]

Thanks, Pete, but I'm keen to point out that 'being a pro' doesn't really mean much. There are lots of full time musicians who know very little about anything but manage to make a living from playing, and there are absolute monsters who hold down a regular 9-5. Every piece of advice in this thread (and many others) is equally valid and everyone's experience counts regardless of how they make a living.

+1 to face to face lessons. When possible...

As to being a 'pro'...interesting point. My local luthier (who used to work at Sei) tells me Randy Hope Taylor drives a bus during the day these days...!

Brighton is full of great musos. Shouldn't be hard to find one.

One other point. Don't feel that every transcription that you do has to be complete. Sometimes, a few 'special' bars are enough to learn something important.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1467838540' post='3086692']
Brighton is full of great musos. Shouldn't be hard to find one.

One other point. Don't feel that every transcription that you do has to be complete. Sometimes, a few 'special' bars are enough to learn something important.
[/quote]

Yes a local jazz pianist has agreed to give me some lessons and he is very good.

I never tend to finish a whole transcription unless I'm out to do a solo or head. I usually just pick the phrases that sound interesting or that sound like I would want them under my hands!

Thanks guys