Why become a member? ×

Identifying an MIJ Squier

Minty

Hi folks, can any Squier nerds please help me out? I've won an auction for a "JV Squier" that was supposedly pieced together from 1982 parts...but something ain't quite right.

The neck is a legit JV precision neck, although possibly a domestic edition due to the smaller machine heads....but the body doesn't fly right with me. Surely a JV body would have the ditch below the neck pocket for the truss rod access? The bridge clearly isn't an export JV but could be domestic or other? And what's up with the neck pocket stamp...I'm fairly sure that is says SQ-JB...which I've never come across before! I thought that could have meant it was an SQ model, but they would also have the truss rod access slot....so what gives? Does anyone out there have a JV / SQ with the same features? If anyone can help, that would be great!

Thank you.

Edited by Minty

hmmmmm hard to say with so few info.

I've had a LOT of Squire JV and have never had any with SQ-JB on neck pocket...

it should have a "D" .....

keep in mind though that Fender Japan is just like Fender USA , there's a LOT of things that "don't make sense" but still obviously exist.....

I've had A serial Fender (Japan) dated 1985 on neck heel but that was pre mid 83 (made in Japan on headstock and not at back of neck) and pickups that had 82 Usa codes (only available on high end Fender JV) + japanese electronics ........

so it if sounds good, i wouldn't worry too much ....

I'd suggest that because it doesn't have the big channel routing from neck p'up to control cavity it's unlikely to be a banger of a body. Doesn't mean much but it looks nice to me; if you have any concerns please send it to me at your earliest convenience.