Why become a member? ×

Is an unfinished maple neck OK?

discreet

[b]Is an unfinished maple neck OK?[/b]

Searched for this and found nothing specific. I'm sure it's probably here somewhere, but anyway... I like to remove some (or all) of the finish on the back of my maple necks (with a Scotchbrite pad) as I prefer a silky, satiny-type feel. I hate it when I'm playing a sweaty venue and my hand starts sticking to the neck. However... I've read that a maple neck needs to be protected from environmental moisture and humidity, otherwise it may warp or twist, or at least need more frequent truss-rod tweaks over time, so...

My questions are thus:

1. Is this true? And
2. If so, what finish could I apply to protect the neck but retain the dry silky-smoothness? And how?

I thank you! :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1466940083' post='3079821']
Bare wood will get dirty and mark up. I'd take just enough off the surface to remove the shine without going down to the wood.
[/quote]

It's a Road Worn so Fender have already made it dirty as it turns out. :rolleyes: Bass is nitro but back of neck is (or was) some kind of urethane. Which is mostly gone. So it's already close to being down to the wood.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1466939099' post='3079815']
Oil it to taste - light enough to not even be felt is OK as long as it's there - but don't leave it totally bare
[/quote]

Thanks Chris. What kind of oil would you recommend?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='stoo' timestamp='1466944168' post='3079860']
I used birchwood Casey tru oil and gunstock wax on my USA ebmm sub. It's what they use on the proper stingrays and I'm really happy with it.
[/quote]

Thanks for that. Does it retain a satiny feel?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1466944926' post='3079865']
Thanks for that. Does it retain a satiny feel?
[/quote]

Depends on how you apply it - the first one I did was 3 very thin coats of tru oil and then one rubdown with the wax and feels very much like untreated wood.

The second one I had more time and did more coats - maybe 6 of oil and 3 of wax, and probably slightly thicker coats each time... that one ended up feeling more like a conventional lacquer finish. Only took a couple of minutes with some 0000 wire wool to get it back to a similar satin feel to the first one though.

In case it helps, here's a link to the thread when I did mine - there's a couple of links to videos in there with some helpful tips on the process http://basschat.co.uk/topic/271642-inept-woodworker-bodges-his-way-to-a-half-decent-result-well-chuffed/page__pid__2938502#entry2938502

[quote name='stoo' timestamp='1466949053' post='3079893']
...there's a couple of links to videos in there with some helpful tips on the process http://basschat.co.uk/topic/271642-inept-woodworker-bodges-his-way-to-a-half-decent-result-well-chuffed/page__pid__2938502#entry2938502
[/quote]

Great, thanks very much... think I'll go for it. :)

Have ordered all the bits and bobs I need... going to sand the neck to a smooth, satiny finish then apply a few coats of Tru-Oil as per the destructions. Apparently this will preserve both the neck and the silky feel - if I do it right. I'll post pics when it's done.