Why become a member? ×

Where can I get a set of decent allen keys for adjustments to bridge etc, and neck etc?

zawinul

Dear bassheads

i'm noticed my E string start to buzz, I think i need to raise the action slightly, where can I get decent allen keys from and also why don;t manufactures supply these with the bass when you buy it?

If a strings starts to buzz for no reason do I need to change strings, all of a sudden my E string sounds flabby , before it was tight and bouncy, why does this happen?

cheers

z

Value and Quality wise I'd recommend checking Toolstation / MachineMart / CPC or your local hardware store etc before B&Q - although I realise they're often quite convenient.

Also, if they have a 'ball end' then don't use that on the bass as they will tend to result in some wear on the screws etc (although they are handy for other uses where the angled access is useful ) The other end usually has a 'straight' hex profile which is fine.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1467061251' post='3080944']
Machine Mart. It even has the size for badass II. Good price for a set.much cheaper than b and q.
[/quote]

Out of interest what 'special size' is require for a Badass II ?

[quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1467112880' post='3081229']
[/quote]

Being US-made it will require an Imperial sized key. Best therefore to get a set of 10 metric and 10 Imperial allen keys. Still only about £10 and you'll never need to buy another allen key in your life.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1467126081' post='3081344']

Being US-made it will require an Imperial sized key. Best therefore to get a set of 10 metric and 10 Imperial allen keys. Still only about £10 and you'll never need to buy another allen key in your life.
[/quote]
This. I got my for about £4.99 from Machine Mart

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1467126081' post='3081344']
[/quote]

Yes - I see - think I misunderstood and thought it had been said that neither a standard imperial or metric size would fit the Badass II.

[quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1467112880' post='3081229']
[/quote]

I think it's the same as my Sterling - 1/16"

I ended up buying a pack of 10 from Amazon for about £3 and have them stashed all over the place so there's always one to hand whether I'm in the house or at a gig

Just a quick word of warning - not all USA manufacturers still use imperial. G&L switched to metric in 2005. They might be a one off.

http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?p=42

Halfords is another place for picking up allen keys / hex wrenches. From what I have seen they are supplied with most new basses (not Musicman though?), then dealers lose them along with the delivery box, or owners mislay them along with the rest of the "case candy".